topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: WinPatrol PLUS at 50% off until April 7  (Read 6716 times)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WinPatrol PLUS at 50% off until April 7
« on: March 29, 2010, 01:20 PM »
Just found this offer in Bill Pytlovany's blog: http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/.  I think VERY highly of WinPatrol PLUS--it's one of the first programs I install on any Windows-based computer.  Also, once you've bought the PLUS version (which at 50% off is $14.95, I think), you have a license for life.  You never have to pay for upgrades.   :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 03:32 PM by cyberdiva »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WinPatrol PLUS at 50% off until April 7
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 02:30 PM »
I think VERY highly of WinPatrol PLUS

Agreed.
I think VERY highly of Bill too. Feels so much nicer to buy software when you fully approve of the developer.
Has to be a good deal at 50% off.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 03:06 PM »
If you want a direct link to the blog go to http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 03:31 PM »
Oops, my bad.   :-[  I thought I had pickup up the URL from Bill's blog, but instead I simply used my RSS feed URL.  I think I'll change my original posting so that people don't scratch their heads wondering what's going on.  Thanks, Carol, for catching this error.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 03:25 AM »
Hi Folks,

WinPatrol Plus is a very handy program, since it covers such a wide range of placements, more thoroughly than other startup programs.

e.g. Today I helped a friend to read his BHO page (IE Helpers).  Similar stuff for the Windows Scheduler, Active X, etc. all in one place, easy read.  The great strength of WPP is this security aspect. As a startup program controller, there are more elegant, as a security overview of startup, WinPatrolPlus is really kewl.

For warnings, the Plus is far more real-time than the polling of the non-Plus, so if you are going to have the program, Plus is proper.  (Plus the support for BillP.) 

I am not sure how extensively the warnings are triggered, since the only issue is startup.  Right now I get warnings from these programs, WinPatrolPlus, AnVir Task Manager (when I have it loaded), Avira anti-virus, Online Armor, and Zemana.  On a warning level AnVir is surprisingly robust, Avira is not popping up much since it is simply virus oriented and I handle email on my own, Online Armor is the mainstay, Zemana is an auxiliary trial emphasizing keylogger, screenread, etc with a neat log.  And WinPatrolPlus (Scotty) which I probably should note closer how it works.

Shalom,
Steven

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 05:59 AM »
Fine program. Interesting how he is offering this rebate exactly two months after he gave it away for free; though only for that day, 29-01-2010. Don't get me wrong; I am not implying anything negative; on the contrary, I am impressed with his lack of greedy ;-)

WinPatrol cannot run together with Outpost Security Suite.  :(  I have both  :)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 09:37 AM »
Fine program. Interesting how he is offering this rebate exactly two months after he gave it away for free; though only for that day, 29-01-2010. Don't get me wrong; I am not implying anything negative; on the contrary, I am impressed with his lack of greedy ;-)
I guess he's trying to find ways to promote the program.  IIRC, he decided that the one-day offer is one he won't repeat.

I have Outpost Firewall Pro rather than the entire Security Suite, and I haven't had any problem running the firewall together with WinPatrol PLUS. 

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 04:12 PM »
When installing programs, I often tell WinPatrol Plus to disable them, only to have it constantly popping up to tell me the program is back again, and after a few times popping up the browser to go to WinPatrol Plus's Web site.  I suppose I either have to temporarily disable WinPatrol Plus during installations, or make a note of the offending program and disable it after a reboot.  Not WinPatrol Plus's fault, but very annoying.  "Offending" was a considered choice of word.  So many programs insist on running on Windows start-up when I really don't want them to.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 07:34 PM »
On the installation issue, one of the things I like about WinPatrol is the BHO detection. It's nice to be able to just click No instead of having to undo it or remove it manually. Also every time I update Flash player it wants to stick that agent/helper stuff on... a couple of clicks on No and that pita is gone.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:37 PM by MilesAhead »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 03:24 PM »
I've been swearing violently because Archivarius3000 kept launching with Windows (Vista Home Premium, user account, UAC On) despite me (apparently) telling it not to in its configuration (Integration tab), and setting WinPatrol Plus to stop it.  In the end I've had to launch Archivarius3000 as administrator to get those settings to stick.  Not WinPatrol Plus's fault, but I don't think Archivarius should have forced that, as I installed it to my user account.  Just hope it really does stick after a reboot.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 05:24 PM »
It's at 1/2 price again - 5 hours left to snag it:

http://www.bitsdujou...ware/winpatrol-plus/

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 07:55 PM »

Was tempted to bite, but it can't run with OSS then I'm going to give it a pass.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 12:21 AM »
I have both as well - haven't noticed any particular problems.