ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Question - Does anyone know of such a program? - Data organizer

(1/7) > >>

Josh:
I open this question up to the mighty masses of donationcoder.com

I am looking to organize quite a bit of data. This data ranges in type from personal documents (birth certs, marriage certs, etc) to financial docs (loan docs, mortgage docs, utility account info docs, etc) to educational (transcripts, required tax income verification forms, etc).

The best way for me to describe the program in question is a CHM file creation tool which allows either embedding of, or even better direct viewing, documents, images, and various other file types. The program I am looking for would ideally operate in the following manner.

You start out by creating a "Book" of sorts. At the root is the title of this book, in my case - Josh, which can have subbooks which contain subbooks of various topics. Each subbook has an associated default "page" where you can put info about the contents, little notes, etc (Basically a miniature MS one-note style system).

Each book can then, as said above, be broken down into sub-books to further organize the varying types of data. After you get to a certain point, I want to be able to add pages to these books. The pages will be of varying types. I would like to be able to either embed documents directly into said pages (html or xml preferred) or, even better, insert a document, image or file as a page directly without need for the backing XML/HTML page, but still allowing for it if the type of document warrants it. Ideally, each page would allow for thumbnail generation to get a quick glimpse of the pages in each "book" without opening them all them completely. Of similar function, or perhaps a substitute, is just displaying the associated icon of the program used to open each document so you know it's type.

Internal viewing of most common document formats would be a must (doc, xls, ppt, pdf, various image formats, etc) so that an external application would not need to be open, but could be if the option were chosen to open each file in its associated external application.

I think I covered many of the high points, what do you think? Does such a beast exist?

skwire:
As we talked about in IRC, I use MyBase for such.  http://www.wjjsoft.com/

Dormouse:
I use Ultra Recall.
Comparison between editions.
Manual
On BitsDuJour a few days ago - but that might not help you now (though always worth asking).

I'm sure InfoQube could do this too. Or will be able to do what it doesn't do now.
Ultra Recall is pretty complex, but I've not yet got to grips with InfoQube (previously SQLNotes).

Development of Ultra Recall was (very briefly) suspended which introduces a slight questionmark about the future if the income it produces does not hold up. But that will be true for other programs too whether they say it or not.

sword:
I use WordPerfect. Master documents, sub-documents, linking, XML, preview, searching.

IainB:
@skwire: Could I ask you some Qs about myBase please:

* How long have you been using myBase for?
* What are its pros and cons?
* What plugins/addons have you purchased for it, and how did they fare in your view?
(Thanks.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version