ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How long is 'temporary'?

(1/5) > >>

Curt:
I was having a look in C:\Users\Curt\AppData\Local\Temp and was quite confused to meet 2665 files and folders, dating back to even when the computer was new. Somehow I have been given the impression that temp is short for temporary, but really... just for how long can something be temporary???

Can I delete the lot?
- yes of course, but will I most likely loose something important like uninstallers, etc?
The folder is hidden, and there must be a reason.

wr975:
Erasing temp is safe. Never had problems with it. C(rap)Cleaner offers the function to erase temp files older than 48 hours only (at system startup). This ensures your temp folder never fills up with old files.

Installers are usuall in WinDir\Installer. (My installer folder is 2,50 GB in size). Some stupid programs put them in UserData or ProgramData, but I've never seen them in temp. Anyway, deleting the Installer folder is possible, but not recommended at all.

The program MsiZap can remove orphaned Installer entries. I don't know if it's working under WinVista/Win7.

Curt:
Sorry for talking about things I have very little understanding of, but I pasted the full directory folder address because there are several temp folder addresses. I am not too sure we are talking about the same temp folder address; Did you check yours?

cmpm:
Download this and run it. If you want to.
It's a temp folder cleaner, ready to run after download.
No install.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/TFC-Temp-File-Cleaner-OldTimer-file187.html

Then see if the temp files you speak of are there.

Curt:
Thanks, that was "interesting"..., but also just a little scary! I didn't manage to read what would happen before my fingers already had clicked Start, so I got nervous when Explorer was closed, thinking it was crashing. But no, it was meant to close. However, it did not restart, though it was supposed to. I rebooted Vista and now Explorer is well, again. Several temp folders were cleansed, but C:\Users\Curt\AppData\Local\Temp has not been touched. It is now 2677 files and folders.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version