ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Proto, another approach to file managing

<< < (3/6) > >>

Tuxman:
Hi, Miechu.  :D Fine to see you here.
I'm glad that you, at least, think about a written documentation.

:Thmbsup:

And thanks for your explanation of the actual approach. It might be easier to understand now.  :)

nudone:
thanks for commenting, miechu.

i got the impression that Proto was meant to be the ultimate util for people that use the keyboard a lot - which, to me, would mean that Proto would be as good as (if not better) than the excellent "Everything" from www.voidtools.com. the Everything search util does provide instant access to any file on your system - which makes it one of the most powerful keyboard utils available (if not the most powerful).

as Proto looked to be aimed at making file functions as quick and easy as possible i just thought it would automatically do what "Everything" could do. i do appreciate what you mean about working with directory structures though - i see how that would be a benefit for disciplined users and their systems.

i think Proto is a brilliant idea. at the moment though it just seems like i can get the same done without having to remember or think about directories and file locations - perhaps it is simply that i'm not doing the more complicated functions that Proto aims at.

miechu:
Welcome to the site Miechu  :up:-mouser (April 20, 2010, 03:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well no offense but I don't have the time to hang out here....

I'm glad that you, at least, think about a written documentation.-Tuxman (April 20, 2010, 03:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's going to be no to easy to tackle but... well as you guys pointed out - it's inevitable

Everything search util does provide instant access to any file on your system-nudone (April 21, 2010, 02:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

No offense but believing that is a bit... naive... and personally I don't want ANYTHING to scan my drive. Not to mention the situation when I'd like to type in something like MainForm.cs - and I'd get something like 1k list ;)

which makes it one of the most powerful keyboard utils available (if not the most powerful).-nudone (April 21, 2010, 02:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

well describe "power"... the most powerful keyboard util is and always will be - console or cmd.exe if you will. Searching is just one thing... for eg. in Proto you can regex rename multiple files at once - that is powerful wouldn't you agree? And if you'd know that if you rename file from image.png to image.jpg, Proto will convert the image file from .png to .jpg - combine that with regex rename function and imo that is just awsome (one must love thyself) ;)

cheers!

nudone:
Everything might not be instant on the nano-second timescale but as it locates files and folders in less than 1 second that seems pretty instant. give the program a try, you might be pleasantly surprised, miechu. instant is also the right word to use as it never needs to index your drives as it rides off the back of the NTFS file table (i think) - so you never have to wait for Everything to scan and create it's own database for newly created files/folders.

i do think Proto is powerful (and a brilliant idea as i said). i just have a set of tools that already suit my needs. i guess i'm not really a keyboard poweruser.

miechu:
Well I gave it a shot and the speed is impressive although it searches through the whole disk the first time & then stores it in memory - that is the reason for the speed and that is really nice. Now check this screenshot: http://i43.tinypic.com/2hs192v.jpg and you'll get why this is not the best idea ;) but hey, if it works for you - that's ok with me, I never wanted to force anyone into using Proto - if you like it, great, if not - oh well, just wait a while and you'll like it ;)

ps.
yeah, Proto was designed with keyboard zealots in mind ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version