ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Proto, another approach to file managing

<< < (2/6) > >>

nudone:
hmm, sorry, i jumped the gun.

i've just had a quick play around with Proto and it isn't a replacement for "Everything". I assumed, whilst i was watching the videos, that Proto could identify every file on the system without having to go through specific paths - it can't (unless i'm mistaken).

so, i'll be sticking with a combination of "Everything" and "Farr" for my keyboard requirments. Proto looks like it still has some powerful features but without the ability to do what "Everything" does i'm not really interested in getting to know more about it.

maybe if you have no good reason to use the mouse then Proto would be a perfect file manager for you.

(it might be something i'll come back to and give another try - but i think if you use Farr, Everything and the cmd prompt you'll be able to move quicker around your system than what you can with Proto.)

mrainey:
Trying to go beyond the dozen or so keyboard shortcuts I use constantly in UltraEdit would overtax my aging brain cells in a hurry.  No way could I use them for a file manager, no matter how efficient they might be in the right hands.

avbhanda:
I was intrigued into evaluating the tool based on the statement  "running in the background, it takes only ~ 27K of RAM", but was disappointed.   Its kind of mini scripting without running a scripting engine (perl, ruby, etc), quite useful for s/w developers or testers.    There is certainly lot of 'hot keys' to remember which is a deterrent.

miechu:
Hello everybody

I found this site via the referrers in google analytics. First of all I appriciate everything that I've read here - the good as the bad things.

There is no actual documentation. To be actually able to use Proto, you'll have to watch the author's screencasts. I hope there will be a better documentation with a later version, so Proto becomes more attractive for rather lazy users who want to RTFM, not WTFV (watch that fine video).-Tuxman (March 28, 2010, 12:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well to be honest I thought that video would be more attractive but it turns out to be a weakness not an advantage... Well I'll just have to sit down and write some documentation.

FWIW, as a native English speaker, I find his accent and pronunciation, combined with the audio quality, hard to understand as well.  Lots of feedback and very bass-y, too.-skwire (March 28, 2010, 03:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah... I know... I'll try to redo the screencasts but since I don't have any reasonable mic the quality is shitty...

I assumed, whilst i was watching the videos, that Proto could identify every file on the system without having to go through specific paths - it can't (unless i'm mistaken).-nudone (March 28, 2010, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well if I'm not mistaken you want to search the whole drive for a specific file - for me (no offense) this is just plain stupid. I believe in herarchical order of things so that I know that in my folder Projects I'm searching for a specific project and not a mp3 file or an email. That's just my mindset and I don't want to convince anybody that my approch is the right one.

No way could I use them for a file manager, no matter how efficient they might be in the right hands.-mrainey (March 28, 2010, 05:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well I'm trying to do assign them "the most expectable way" - eg: ctrl+t (opens new tab), ctrl+w (closes tab), ctrl+c (copies path), ctrl+shift+c (copies filename), etc. and you can always lookup what you are searching via F1 - there is a searchable list of shortcuts.

cheers
Miechu

mouser:
Welcome to the site Miechu  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version