topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Mini Review of jAlbum web site creator.  (Read 21035 times)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mini Review of jAlbum web site creator.
« on: March 18, 2018, 08:17 AM »
Basic Info

App NamejAlbum
App URLhttps://jalbum.net
App Version Reviewedhttps://jalbum.net
Test System SpecsIntel Core i7-7700K
ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 Gaming OC
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
16GB DDR$ SDRAM
2TB SSD, 2.5TB spinners
Supported OSesWindows 10 Version 1709 x64
Support MethodsFree email support, FAQ, Tutorials, Forum, Blog
PricingStarts at € 39
Upgrade PolicyFree for any updates in the 12 months following purchase, discounted for the next major release
FeaturesSee https://jalbum.net/en/software/features
Relationship btwn. Reviewer and ProductI am a very satisfied customer, no more, no less.

Intro:

The full scope of jAlbum is greater than I can address because I do not take advantage of all of its features.

Basically, this product provides a fast, easy method to create sophisticated web albums, for users not versed in the (to me) complexities of writing code.

jAlbum offers web site hosting if desired. I do not use that and so cannot comment on it other than to point out the option.

Interface.jpgMini Review of jAlbum web site creator.The main interface.

Settings.jpgMini Review of jAlbum web site creator.The interface to tweak settings (if desired). It is not essential.

Who is this app designed for:

Those who would find it daunting to create their own web site from scratch. Those who would find it too expensive to pay an expert to create a web site. Those whose time is at a premium.

The Good

jAlbum is simply a very easy way to construct a web site for people who cannot, or do not wish to write raw code. It is a boon to those or who haven't the time or inclination to construct a site from scratch, or who cannot or are unwilling to pay the fees of an expert to do it for them. It is available for Windows, Mac and Linux for the main desktop version and iOS + Android for the mobile version.

The needs improvement section

Almost everything on this planet could be improved but jAlbum brings out regular enhancements.

Why I think you should use this product

It saves time, it saves money, it saves headaches, support is good. There is a range of pre-built free templates available, these templates are easily modified to suit individual tastes. There are some templates the use of which costs a small fee. Typically, these are more complex, or offer additional, more sophisticated features. Personally, I use what is free and am more than satisfied with that.

Much of the process can be executed by simple drag 'n drop. Many of the grunt-work details are taken care of in the background, for example ensuring that thumbnails are produced, optimized, and sized appropriately. Also, I find it extremely easy to make changes and additions, to expand existing sections, or to add in new ones. If desired the entire web site can be uploaded to the host from within the program itself.

How does it compare to similar apps

Depends on one's skill set. I found it easier by far than using tools from, e.g. Adobe (which are very good but require more time to master than I can give). My experience is that building with jAlbum is infinitely easier, and the results more stable, than were several other 'out-of-the-box' solutions that I tried.

Conclusions

Draw your own conclusions from this. My wife asked me to create a web site for her. I was appalled. I struggled through, trying to resurrect my rusty knowledge of HTML etc. I floundered around spending all of my spare time for about 3 weeks. This produced a viable site (sort of) that looked as if the proverbial tribe of monkeys had been at work on it. Later I read about jAlbum. In 3 days (not weeks!) and working on it only sporadically, I produced the site that my wife now has. It is here: http://www.barbarabickell.ca/. The world won't swoon over it but it's far better than I could manage alone. My wife is happy, and a happy wife makes a happy life.

Links to a few other reviews of this application

A single quick web search brought up these and many more:

jAlbum 13 Photo Website Builder Software Review | Shutterbug

Review of jAlbum 11.6 by SoftPlanet - YouTube

jAlbum 15.3 - Audio, Video & Photo - Downloads - Macworld UK

jAlbum - Android Apps on Google Play

JAlbum for Windows | FileForum

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:35 AM by cranioscopical, Reason: Correction »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Mini Review of jAlbum web site creator.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 08:32 AM »
Looks good Chris :up:

the only thing missing for me was pricing (starts @ 39$ / upgrade info given above)
https://jalbum.net/e...v74re4a112mz06nyek1f
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 08:39 AM »
missing for me was pricing
Fixed  :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 10:13 AM »
Chris, I am just blown away and speechless by your wife's paintings.  They are amazing.  I love love love love love the style.  They are absolutely captivating, charming, wonderful.  Some made me laugh out loud, others I was transfixed by.  So good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-*

Why have you been hiding these from us for all of these years!  >:(

[I think you did a very nice job with the website as well -- I can see why you were so happy with the result from jAlbum.  Very clean and smooth and functional and put the images front and center with no distraction.]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 10:49 AM by mouser »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 03:38 PM »
Thanks, very nice of you to say so.

jAlbum saved my bacon when it came to putting together the web site.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 01:11 AM »
I used it years ago, (5+, when it was free), to create a simple website which I then butchered for the genealogists in the family, needed a site to display a journal transcription.

The last free version is still available here.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 07:05 AM »
I used it years ago, (5+, when it was free), to create a simple website which I then butchered for the genealogists in the family, needed a site to display a journal transcription.

The last free version is still available here.

I'd thought it was free!  I used it years ago when creating an album for my travels.  Didn't want to host on one of the available platforms, so just did it myself.  It was really easy, and as said in the review, made a perfectly functional site.