Thanks a lot for taking the time to address these issues here.
You might be "right on all points" but, I'm not entirely convinced though.
If you re-read my (long) posts carefully, you'll see your explanations aren't completely following my argumentation and some important details are missing.
I'll try to keep it short.RAM
First, I do understand these RAM things. Maybe not as an assembly programmer, but I dot get the general idea. I've read/heard the "unused RAM is wasted RAM" thousands of times, I do get it (even if I haven't always found it true in terms of performance -- more flushing, more disc I/O, more paging... but who am I to find that an app consumes a lot of RAM, right ?). I find that because of that maxim all apps now miraculously use just the right amount of RAM, no more, no less, as long as there are no leaks
Second, I've never seen the RAM figures you talk about. Even at mere start up and when it's hidden in the sys. tray. BUT, yes I've got 3GB installed, but win XP
, not Vista, not Windows 7. [Anybody can look at my screenshot on the altaro forum]
Third, RAM usage always stayed relatively high even when I overloaded my system with other active processes (for testing purposes). Didn't see Oops!Backup release it, ever. However, it's possible
that it eventually would, and I welcome any user here to post a screenshot with their RAM more than maxed out and Oops having released it for some other apps to benefit.
Fourth, I really don't mind if RAM fluctuates, it's a fact of life, so I didn't complain about that. Only about average
RAM usage.Restore Issue
Yes, as I said to Julian, I now
understand all that. I said here that I was stupid, that it was mostly my fault, etc. (readers can witness), but that wasn't the only
problem. It was also a date discrepancy problem. See VSS matters etc. and please see my screenshot at the altaro Forum.VSS Issue
Thanks for the info, but if you reread what I wrote, you'll see that I understand that, and there.s 99% chance that the problem wasn't that I didn't save my code. The problem is most probably
that the VSS malfunctioned, so file wasn't backed-up. There was a quick message about VSS malfunction at some point during the night. The problem is that the restore window didn't reflect that. The last backup that worked for in use files was there, sure, but nothing on the file didn't reflected the fact that one or two were skipped. The date from the tab indicated that files were last backed up at such time "today" when the file was last backed up "Yesterday".
Don't worry, I'd happily admit that I didn't save my stuff at all, and that's why it happened. But, you don't have to believe it, but I'm a compulsive ctrl-s person. If I look at the AutoVer folders right now, I see that I saved my project probably about once every 5 min in the last few days. That's a a good average IMO. I even press ctrl-s when I don't need to sometimes, and unwanted stuff happens (like in Firefox when I write a message... nope, don't want to save the web page!).
And then there are the other issues : Hard Drive filling up incredibly rapidly
(backup every 5 min would be absolutely unthinkable here... I mean, in the same day, MB went up very fast). Maybe for some special folders.... this is linked to the full file backup duplication
I won't go through the whole thing again to not annoy anybody. Oops is good. But if you look at my other posts here you'll also see that there are a few features that I'd like to have (like storing versions on some archiving media)