topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 8:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Anyone familiar with Oops!Backup?  (Read 58101 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone familiar with Oops!Backup?
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 10:40 AM »
-I *guess* the Genie forum has been replaced by the blog and the common support.

Anyway:

For a limited time you can get Genie Timeline 2.1 Professional for 25% OFF

http://www.genie-sof...line_Pro_25_OFF.html
-Genie PRO

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 01:52 PM »
I suppose you're right, Curt <sigh> I had high hopes for GTL and grew frustrated with the lack of bug fixes and relied on the forum to keep track of what was going on, what issues other users had (so that I could act accordingly), and development. Honestly, what put me over the edge was the lack of progress in fixing the bugs that existed/incorporation of ideas such as using an existing backup and the fact that every bug fix that got released seemed to introduce new bugs!

OK my abject apologies - rant over. I like Genie software and hope they get this sorted out. For now, I'm VERY happy with Oops!Backup Pro.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 07:03 AM »
-some time ago I wanted to test Oops! but I never got past SyncBreeze. I really LIKE it, even though it is not a genuine back-up program but merely a synchronizer between a few folders. I must admit I almost never care to 'third-party'-back-up my computer, but of course Vista's back-up is running once a day.

http://www.syncbreez...roduct_versions.html

It is based on FlexTk File Manager Toolkit.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 04:21 PM »
Searching around lately I've seen nothing but good comments about Oops!Backup. If I were bright enough to be an author or programmer ;), I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

But alternatives do exist--some free. Particularly if you simply cannot afford to buy, backup/versioning freebies like these could be worth a look:

CascadePoint
http://www.jpsoft.co.../cascadepointdes.htm

AutoVer
http://beanland.net.au/AutoVer/

Regards

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 04:46 PM »
Does Oops!Backup fully support Unicode? The word 'Unicode' is not mentioned on their site, not even in the otherwise amazing user guide.
 :tellme:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2010, 11:16 PM »
Does Oops!Backup fully support Unicode? The word 'Unicode' is not mentioned on their site, not even in the otherwise amazing user guide.
 :tellme:

I'm not sure what you are looking for, Curt (ie unicode in the GUI or ability to backup unicode documents?) - I  have unicode documents (in Korean) that are backed up just fine, though. Unicode file names are also displayed correctly within the Oops!Backup "Go back in time" screen, too  :Thmbsup:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 11:39 PM »
- :up:
Julian Pace Ross, an employee of Altaro Software, replied to "Unicode support?", a question about Altaro Software. >>Yes it does. Also filenames up to 32768 chars in length on the destination.<<

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 06:16 AM »
...I have a Genie Timeline Pro license but just uninstalled it in disgust. ...

-the latest update from Genie is marked as a *Very Important Update*...

The latest build of Genie Timeline 2.1: 2.1.7.329 has been released and it contains the following updates:

·         Enhanced: auto-exclude functionality.

·         Enhanced: file monitor service.

·         Fixed: backing up from network drive when disconnected.

·         Fixed: 99% protection level due to continuously pending files.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 07:10 AM »
I downloaded the GTL update yesterday morning, but haven't installed it (and probably won't). I might install it on a different machine to see how it goes, but none of the listed updates will solve the problem that drove me to distraction and to removing it (mostly, the updates themselves corrupting my installation). FWIW, the download was over 160MB, Oops!Backup is 17.2MB...

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2010, 10:44 AM »
I downloaded the GTL update .... the download was over 160MB, Oops!Backup is 17.2MB...

-ouch!!!

Reminds me very much of ABBYY Screenshot Reader being 200 MB, Boxoft Screen OCR being 10 MB, and they do the one and same thing...

I am downloading Oops now to see why I don't already have it ;-)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2010, 11:07 AM »
Well, well, well... Oops!Backup 3 will be on BDJ on October 11th for $18.50.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2010, 11:45 AM »
Cool. Now let's see if I really need it.  :)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2010, 12:04 PM »

Howdy! I was just looking hard at Oops Backup. My daughter was going to buy a USB drive with autobackup software from QVC - I forget the name but it looked like a whole lot of money for a very weak, simple backup solution. Instead I bought a 1 TB Iomega drive for her for a song at Amazon and have been looking for a solid but easy-to-use backup program to set up for her. She is techy enough to do basic tasks on her computer but not quite enough that I would feel comfortable installing Acronis, Genie, or even Backup4All on her box. (I don’t want to be over there all the time with it!)

Oops looks like it might be perfect for her machine. Heck, I might even get another license and try it on my main rig. I run Acronis and Jungle Disk here. I did have Genie Pro 8 installed but removed it after its last series of mistakes.

Still recommending Oops strongly?

Thanks!

Jim

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2010, 01:33 PM »
I'm still hesitating myself. Not that it's expensive... But buying new software also means more software testing. SyncBack works well, even if a bit on the slow side (no delta backup). Oops seems very well put together and fast... hmmmm...

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2010, 01:34 PM »

Howdy! I was just looking hard at Oops Backup. My daughter was going to buy a USB drive with autobackup software from QVC - I forget the name but it looked like a whole lot of money for a very weak, simple backup solution. Instead I bought a 1 TB Iomega drive for her for a song at Amazon and have been looking for a solid but easy-to-use backup program to set up for her. She is techy enough to do basic tasks on her computer but not quite enough that I would feel comfortable installing Acronis, Genie, or even Backup4All on her box. (I don’t want to be over there all the time with it!)

Oops looks like it might be perfect for her machine. Heck, I might even get another license and try it on my main rig. I run Acronis and Jungle Disk here. I did have Genie Pro 8 installed but removed it after its last series of mistakes.

Still recommending Oops strongly?

Thanks!

Jim

If she doesn't have a backup solution, I'd buy Oops for sure. Reviews are great and it seems 1- powerful, 2- easy to setup and use.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2010, 01:50 PM »
Thanks Armando.

Barring any negative replies in the next couple of hours here, I will probably go ahead and get this for her. At the Bits price it's hard to go that wrong.  :)

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2010, 02:19 PM »
I love Oops!Backup and regret spending the money on Genie Timeline Pro (I've listed my beefs with that application in this and other threads)... I have not had a problem so far. If you read the comments on the BDJ page for the Oops!Backup deal, DC's onw merleone has this to say:

I have a license since a while ago, when OB was just out of beta.  It has been working flawlessly since then, updates are easy and the latest major upgrade was offered free of charge.  What else !

I appreciate the fact that the latest version can be recovered without any additional software, contrarily to other solutions

Of course, I suspect you've already read it as it looks like you posted right after him  ;D

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2010, 02:35 PM »
Darwin... I have one question "if you have the time".
Can you backup on 2 different hard drives or create different backup jobs ?  (e.g. : one day I'd plug one ext. hard drive and it would backup to it, the other I'd plug the other one, etc. Or something like that...)

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2010, 02:47 PM »
Darwin... I have one question "if you have the time".
Can you backup on 2 different hard drives or create different backup jobs ?  (e.g. : one day I'd plug one ext. hard drive and it would backup to it, the other I'd plug the other one, etc. Or something like that...)

No, not at the moment at least.  There is a single backup job, towards a single destination, *but* you can now replicate the backup'ed files to a secondary destination.  However you may only backup to the first destination.
.merle1.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2010, 05:23 PM »
In Oops!Backup 3 there is an option to setup a 2nd Backup Drive. I haven't done this so I'm not sure how this works... Reading merleone's post, I guess this means that multiple drives = multiple FULL backups/discrete backups (mail on E:, docs on F: system on G: or something like that)?

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2010, 07:52 PM »
Thanks to both of you.
That might not be enough redundancy for me... Still have 3 h left to "make up my mind" (this will be a "spontaneous" decision anyway as I don't want to over analyze this... Might as well just buy then)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2010, 10:15 PM »
Yeah, but that lack of redundancy won't be a problem on my daughter's computer. I bought 3 licenses - btw they give you an even larger discount when buying three - and I also plan to install it on my wife's computer.

Thanks!

Jim

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2010, 10:37 PM »
Bought it !  :)
Now need to find the time to actually install and configure it... Shouldn't be that long.
(3 licences ? Nice. I could've / should've done that, maybe. Next time.)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2010, 11:38 PM »
Yeah, three licenses cost me a total of $46.50. Not bad at all!

Jim

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2010, 01:33 AM »
In Oops!Backup 3 there is an option to setup a 2nd Backup Drive. I haven't done this so I'm not sure how this works... Reading merleone's post, I guess this means that multiple drives = multiple FULL backups/discrete backups (mail on E:, docs on F: system on G: or something like that)?

No, not actually : the typical use case is the following.  You define the set of folders you want to backup, for instance... My Documents.  This folder and subfolder are saved with the schedule you define onto a first external HDD, including file revisions.  Then, you connect also a second HDD and you synchronize the first HDD onto the second one (both have to be connected).  The first HDD remains the backup HDD, the second HDD is the mirror backup of the backup HDD.  You cannot switch (I guess you might in a future version).
.merle1.