ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone familiar with Oops!Backup?

<< < (4/20) > >>

Darwin:
Bump

I'm running the trial of Oops!Backup now. I have a Genie Timeline Pro license but just uninstalled it in disgust. For about the fourth time in as many months I've had to start the whole backup process again. The update feature seldom works and has twice failed mid-update rendering my installation kaput. I then have to download the 142 MB installer and run it in "update" mode. I went through the whole rigamorale again today and the service kept shutting before my data was backed up. Enough is enough. You can't re-install the software and point it to an existing archive; it has to re-do the entire backup. Backups for my 250GB of data take HOURS (I have no idea how long because its never been a nice, smooth experience. The backup process always coughs and sputters along). The icing on the cake for me is that the support forum disappeared a few weeks back.

So, I figured that if I am going to have to go through it re-creating my backup, I might as well try out the competition (Oops!Backup). I am VERY impressed so far.

Let's see:

GTL Pro 142MB download
OB 17.5MB download

GTL Pro about 5 or 6 hours to backup 250GB
OB about 1 hour to backup 250GB

If OB stays stable over the coming weeks, I'll be buying a license for sure.

EDIT: changed can to can't (italicized). Seriously affected my message/meaning!

MrCrispy:
I like the name, its catchy and memorable.  When you lose data or forget to do something you go 'Oops!' and I think that's what they are going for. Certainly better than something like 'iBackup Xtreme Pro Live 2011' !

cyberdiva:
The Neat Net Tricks Software Review Panel just did a fairly detailed review of Oops Backup.  As I recall, people were uniformly enthusiastic, which is not all that usual for them.

Darwin:
Thanks for the link to the NNT review, cyberdiva. I'd not seen that.

MerleOne:
I have been using V2 since several months, it's been working flawlessly, consumes very little system resources, except maybe for the initial backup.  I am still using V2 but will soon install the V3. I like the fact it stores different revisions of a saved file in an elegant way, and you need no software to recover the last version.  With V3 you can have you backup on 2 different HDD, increasing safety.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version