ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone familiar with Oops!Backup?

<< < (11/20) > >>

Darwin:
Ah... thanks for the explanation, merleone. I hope that future builds add some more flexibility.

MerleOne:
I think that this relative lack of flexibility makes it an easier to use software.

Armando:
I spent some time at their forum this morning.

I erased a 200gb folder on my second ext. hard drive, installed Oops!Backup, and my first backup started 5min later. Nice, especially that this is in line with what I've read in reviews, here, etc.

The OopsBackup folder will be compressed (NTFS compression).

Not sure yet how I'll manage the versionning aspect yet. SyncBack allowed me to treat versionning as a completely separated aspect... And I could archive versions on DVDs (instead of just deleting them). Wonder if a similar strategy could be used with Oops!Backup or if I'll need to still use SyncBack to make sure some older file versions are kept, long (years) after being replaced by newer ones... It happened once that a very old file was deleted... Had to dig 2 years back to find it, and it was there, on a DVD !!  (for plain archiving, DVDs are ok. I generally dislike them I must say) :)

Apart from that, I noticed that RAM usage is on the high side -- a bit too high for my taste, considering that SyncBack would use about 4 MB while resting, and 45 MB while copying big files. It hovers  between 140 (resting) and 175 MB (at work) it seems. Yes, I know that unused RAM is wasted RAM, etc. but still... cleverly used RAM is better than unduly used & wasted RAM. Let's hope that it's the first case here. I'm guessing that there's progress to be made in this area. Will see if that becomes a show stopper or not...

[Edited : made my post more readable]

Darwin:
I think that this relative lack of flexibility makes it an easier to use software.
-MerleOne (October 12, 2010, 08:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good point. I haven't tried the multi-drive backup feature because it would be overkill for me (I mainatin a secondary backup of my documents, music, video, ebook, and outlook files via Super Flexible File Synchronizer). I do love how simple it is to use; I'd hate that to be "messed up"!

Armando - I just checked and Oops!Backup is using a total (spread over two processes) of 73 MB/129 MB RAM (Private/Working Set) on my system (Win 7 64-bit with 4GB RAM) during a scheduled backup. FWIW, it's never slowed my system down (that I can tell). It's now at rest and those numbers really haven't changed significantly.

Curt:
For a limited time you can get Genie Timeline 2.1 Professional for 25% OFF-Genie PRO
--- End quote ---
-Curt (September 23, 2010, 10:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

-now and for the next 3 days, further 10% off:

For a limited time you can upgrade to Genie Timeline 2.1 Professional for  35% OFF*

Buy Now
--- End quote ---

http://www.genie-soft.com/promo/Genie_Timeline_Pro_35_OFF.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version