ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

updating Firefox plugins sucks!

<< < (9/10) > >>

Curt:
Thanks, Miles. Because of your post, I am trying Iron right now. Hadn't even heard of it before. But Iron really is fast - except when I am trying to understand where to find the features I am looking for! But if I recall right, I had the same problem when I first was trying out IE 8 and Office 2010 and..., so I expect I will learn how to handle this one as well ;-)

MilesAhead:
Yeah, the ribbon thing is a bit annoying.  But stuff that would be mostly in the File Menu on an ordinary menu bar is under the "Page" icon and Settings/Extensions type stuff is under the "Wrench" icon.  The settings does seem a lot cleaner than Firefox.  I just watched a video how to do Chrome bookmark sync and as I figured, it's an online google account that's used.  If it let you do your own ftp site I'd like it better. I'll have to figure how to handle that.  Depends how much I'll use Firefox I suppose.

MilesAhead:
Searching SRWare Iron I guess there was a thread on here months ago but I never noticed it. I just tried laying on the latest Alpha.  So far so good. I still haven't found a way to use the password thingy with multiple accounts on the same site. But I guess I'll just use Firefox for those sites.  Just wish I could sync bookmarks etc. without using a google account.

It does seem a tad faster.  Still has no setting that I can see to limit the on disk cache.  But I found out where the cache is so at least I can use CCleaner to delete it and cookies.

The new version does have a "delete cookies when I close the browser" setting now.

MilesAhead:
I finally found a download accelerator that will work with SRWare Iron 5 Alpha and Firefox 3.6.3

It's Internet Download Accelerator.

It does have some annoying features.  Adds in the progress dialog, silly sounds, insisting on categorizing downloads unless you put them in a dated subfolder, sticking toolbars in Firefox.

But you can turn the sounds off at least.  What it does without using Flashgot or any plugin(when I say without using any plugin I mean, after you remove the stuff it sticks in Firefox AddOns.. just uninstall them,) is follow redirection on downloads from AfterDawn in both Firefox and Iron.

The main annoying thing is it insists on opening a white web page telling you it's taking over the download.  Evidently you have to pay up to get rid of this notification page(like when you try to disable in the settings it tells you only the Pro version lets you disable it.)

But, It's the only one I've tried so far that actually works in both browsers. All the others I had to drag a link to the drop box and that doesn't work with AfterDawn downloads or other sites that fetch with JavaScript.  At least this one does.  Looks like I'll run it until I find something better.

edit:  Looks like it can find Iron on Vista, but not on W7.

edit2: Also it looks like this download manager free version is a lot slower than Free Download Manager. The moral I guess is, if you want speed you have to drag the link to the FDM drop box.  I guess I'm going to uninstall this thing.  It's too slow and annoying for what it provides.

(p.s. sorry to hijack your thread but I thought you might be interested in how Iron fares with common tasks.)

Lutz_:
I am usually using SRWare Iron and Opera myself  - speed is no luxury  ;D.
Just wanted to mention that there is now an Iron alternative in the Comodo Dragon Browser, which claims to have similar benefits as Iron.  I have not tried it myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version