ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

updating Firefox plugins sucks!

<< < (8/10) > >>

Curt:
There is something strange going on inside yo.. ehhh...  ...something strange going on! Oh yes, AFOM works very well indeed. With one tab open (this page) my Firefox will use around 78 MB, up to 100 MB, but then AFOM will lower the memory usage to just 10MB, and Firefox will start building up memory usage again, and AFOM will wait a while and then do its job again... I have not cared to study how long it will wait. And oh yes, TrimAll works very well. Maybe the problem is the methods you are using, (which I really don't care to comment further on), or maybe you just didn't get the purpose of the program? When a memory leak has been recovered, the programs will at once start to build up memory usage again. To see this, you will need to watch the total memory usage of your computer, activate the TrimAll.exe, while still watching the memory usage, and you will see it. Long-term effects doesn't exist here. Just maybe we are not trying to pull your legs?

TrimAll really has very little to do with Firefox.

jojo99:
There is something strange going on inside yo.. ehhh...  ...something strange going on! Oh yes, AFOM works very well indeed. With one tab open (this page) my Firefox will use around 78 MB, up to 100 MB, but then AFOM will lower the memory usage to just 10MB, and Firefox will start building up memory usage again, and AFOM will wait a while and then do its job again... I have not cared to study how long it will wait. And oh yes, TrimAll works very well. Maybe the problem is the methods you are using, (which I really don't care to comment further on), or maybe you just didn't get the purpose of the program? When a memory leak has been recovered, the programs will at once start to build up memory usage again. To see this, you will need to watch the total memory usage of your computer, activate the TrimAll.exe, while still watching the memory usage, and you will see it. Long-term effects doesn't exist here. Just maybe we are not trying to pull your legs?

TrimAll really has very little to do with Firefox.
-Curt (April 11, 2010, 01:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are all different kinds of memory.  Are you talking about working set, swapped in, total memory or what? 

I showed above that nothing happened when I ran the trim program.  So unsure what it is that you are questioning?

Perhaps if you post some screenshots showing the memory reduction, we can get a better handle on what the Trim program is doing.  As I previously posted, I suspect that it is doing nothing more than a total swap out which of course, will reduce the WS  and in memory pages for all applications. 

BUT it doesn't actually reduce memory USAGE in any way, shape or form.

f0dder:
Curt, neither trimall nor AFOM fix leaks - it's nothing but temporary symptomatic treatment.

Curt:
Gents! I am afraid we may be talking different languages, or is this turning into a battle on words?

jojo99; I am so sorry that I only provided a direct link to the exe instead of a link to the thread in which the file was introduced. My reason was that is was a rather lengthy thread, but now I see that you have not read it so you cannot have an idea of what it all was about:
1) https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2794.msg57870#msg57870
2) https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2794.msg58218#msg58218
3) https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2794.msg58324#msg58324

f0dder, I agree.
??

MilesAhead:
hmmmmm, curiosity got the better of me so I tried Chrome for a bit.  Since it seemed usable, I took it off and installed the Chrome Clone SRWare Iron

Supposedly it's Chrome without the tracking bits.  I did find an AutoCopy for it.  It does have some password autologin management, but doesn't support the multi-accounts on one site like Opera and Secure Login for Firefox does.

I'll say one thing though. It loads off the dime!!  I got tired of running Firefox out of a Ramdisk.  Took all that crap off.

Other than the substandard password management, the main thing I don't like is the Ribbon.  I like the old standard menus.  But I guess I have to bite the bullet because Ribbons are sexy now. I guess hunting for commands is part of the mystique or something.

The other thing I haven't tried yet that's major is bookmark sync.  But it is good at pulling your settings from another browser.  I siphoned the settings from Firefox and visited Twit TV and it played the vid with no intervention.  I set up the bookmark toolbar by hand before I found the button to draw in the Firefox settings so I don't know if that part is automatic or not.  Guess I'll find out by installing on the other machine.

The last 4 or 5 new browser I've tried I uninstalled after about an hour.  This one I think I may keep. It loads too fast off the HD to just chuck it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version