ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

updating Firefox plugins sucks!

<< < (3/10) > >>

Bamse:
http://blog.mozilla.com/metrics/2009/09/16/helping-people-upgrade-flash/ is why it does not suck and one of the many easy to fix reasons there are security problems. High percentage have no clue and will not maintain the handful of really important plugins known to be seen as en entry by malware makers. Many must also either disable autoupdate from Adobe or just ignore/cancel or how else can they detect so high percentage? May be "problem" is people being sceptical to sudden pop-ups so they cancel? Flash does not advertise update window much, will just appear X days after new release. Implementation, Flash update window, is wrong then. Better to let Mozilla take care of it. Well another page said something about problems detecting versions through a web page but if it can't detect Adobe pdf-plugin value decreases a lot. I guess they will not make this work automatically for all plugins until all are recognized. Sending people off to Google in search of updates is not optimal.

They have bigger plans, Plugin Directory http://blog.mozilla.com/webdev/2010/01/08/rebuilding-the-plugin-directory/ Version check is part of that project.

J-Mac:
I have been going between Chrome and Firefox lately. I agree with bleh75 that Firefox has become more difficult to use lately - ever since about 3.5 if I had to guess. I do have about 25 extensions installed and there is no way to see if any are causing a problem other than disabling all and turning them back on one by one, which is a real PITA. Plus if the problem is an intermittent one then there is no way to diagnose it.

And I love how asinine the Mozillazine forums have become. I have often said that the best thing about Firefox is the extensions, and the worst thing about Firefox is the extensions. Yet post about a problem at Mozillazine and you get Mods and long-time users telling you that it's naturally the extensions - that they don’t use any extensions. Really? Then what other reason is there to use Firefox? Baloney!

Firefox now starts slow, browses slow, shuts down slow - if at all - and it uses so much memory that it is a definite hog. Although Chrome, while being much faster than Firefox, is an even bigger memory hog. I recently had 9 tabs open in Chrome and the Windows Task Manager showed exactly 30 processes named "Chrome", each taking from 35 to 50 MB of RAM. Crazy!

Opera is looking better and better - if only the developers there weren't so damned elitist.

OK - whining rant all done!   :D

Jim

cyberdiva:
Opera is looking better and better - if only the developers there weren't so damned elitist.
-J-Mac (March 27, 2010, 10:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1  :Thmbsup:

cmpm:
20 extensions and my FF does ok.
I trashed the useless ones and unused ones a long time ago.

The only plugins that I care about keeping up to date are,
adobe flash and Java.

And, sorry, CleanMem works.
Idling at 70,000kb to 90,000kb or so anytime I look.
More depending on how many tabs are open, about 10,000kb a tab I figure.

Minimizetotray Plus helps immeasurably.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2831
It works, so sticking with it.

bleh75:
Good stuff J-Mac  ;D I haven't used Firefox for awhile now. Last time I used it was using like 400,000 K lol :o Thats when I ditched it  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version