ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

updating Firefox plugins sucks!

(1/10) > >>

Curt:
For the first time ever, I clicked Addons > Plugins > check for updates, in Firefox, and was very surprised to watch the following procedure.

First, I was sent to a homepage that knew what plugin versions I have. Unfortunately it didn't know more than 6 out of 28. The remaining 22 plugins were merely marked with a grey (gray) button saying "Unable to Detect Plugin Version".

Then, when clicking the first "update" button, (Adobe Shockwave), the homepage would send me to Adobe's homepage, using the same window !! I find this to be equal to idiocy. Of course it must use another window / tab!

Finally, when I clicked the first of the 22 grey (gray) buttons, HD View 3.3.0.0 Mozilla plugin, Firefox did *not* link me to the product's homepage, but merely gave me a google search (still in the same window) for current version plugin HD View !!

Realizing I still had 21 more plugins to go, I simply gave up and closed the plugin's box.

Do you 'auto-update' your Firefox plugins via https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/ ?
- or what do you do to keep your plugins updated??
 :tellme:

TucknDar:
- or what do you do to keep your plugins updated??
 :tellme:
-Curt (March 26, 2010, 03:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
Didn't know I had to  :-[ The thought's never even crossed my mind, to be honest. Stuff either works or it's not installed yet. But the procedure you describe certainly does sound rather stupid.

MilesAhead:
I rarely do the Check For Updates unless the FF on another machine has updated an AddOn or theme that I know I want to update.  When I upgrade FF I never let it check.  I wait to see if it passes my litmus tests(Silverlight Video and TV Guide Popdown descriptions.. seems if those work, everything I use will work.)

I use the Mr Tech Toolkit to override version checking. (I know I could do the about:config setting but I got in the Mr Tech habit and it also works with Thunderbird. I just keep it.)

I let it do the auto check on program load.. and just hit Skip if I don't want to bother with it.  That usually avoids a deluge as the updates tend to come in 1s and 2s.

f0dder:
For me, FireFox updates Addons quite automatically, and it definitely doesn't involve going to any website.

mrainey:
I click the button to check for updates (14), and it only takes a few seconds plus a Firefox restart.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version