ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Need a new sound card (non Creative)

<< < (3/4) > >>

Innuendo:
Dunno about support for 3D audio, since Microsoft axed hardware acceleration of it with Vista
-f0dder (March 28, 2010, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

There's still 3D audio, but since DirectSound was deemed obsolete by Microsoft everyone has moved to OpenAL to fill the void.

Innuendo:
I was kind of bummed when I got my new PC with a Realtek card but I've actually been quite happy.It sounds like a pain but if you get one download the driver from http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?id=35&sort=4 sort by Date  :Thmbsup: It takes forever to dl from the Realtek site.-bleh75 (March 28, 2010, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just to add to this advice, make sure you install the drivers that either came with your motherboard or from the motherboard manufacturer's web site first. Often you get a nicer front-end that exposes more functionality in the Realtek drivers than if you were to just install the drivers alone from the Realtek site.

kartal:
Thanks guys,

I actually went ahead with external usb solution for now.

f0dder:
Dunno about support for 3D audio, since Microsoft axed hardware acceleration of it with Vista
-f0dder (March 28, 2010, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
There's still 3D audio, but since DirectSound was deemed obsolete by Microsoft everyone has moved to OpenAL to fill the void.
-Innuendo (April 01, 2010, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, but is OpenAL accelerated? And what exactly, 3D audio aside, would an audio card accelerate (but isn't doing for onboard audio, and thus requiring it to be done in the driver, using CPU cycles)?

Innuendo:
Yes, but is OpenAL accelerated?-f0dder (April 01, 2010, 10:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. It is.

And what exactly, 3D audio aside, would an audio card accelerate (but isn't doing for onboard audio, and thus requiring it to be done in the driver, using CPU cycles)?
--- End quote ---

Nothing, as far as I know. Hardware-accelerated audio is exclusively used for 3D audio in games. In other words, if you aren't a gamer then the lack of DirectSound & OpenAL are not going to be anything you will be worried about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version