ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A new approach to reduce NTFS fragmentation

<< < (4/7) > >>

MerleOne:
Sorry, my initial post seems to have caused some controversy...

I found something which is of interest to me in the free LaceLevel2 : this tool seems able to detect very quickly if a ntfs file system has some errors.  It does that of one of my PC, saying some files are overlapped.  I checked with chkdsk, and it was confirmed that some files had a few issues (cannot really tell what kind of issue since chkdsk messages are quite cryptic to me).  When I force a chkdsk at boottime, this small issues were repaired.

Of course, it's not what the product is supposed to do as main purpose, but that's something anyway.

MerleOne:
BTW, I found a way to make LaceWatcher run on my system : the Microsoft "server service" was not running.  After starting it manually, LW started to work OK.  Now whether it is useful or not is enterely another matter...

Eóin:
I will try to be polite and just say that I do not agree with you on this.-Curt (March 26, 2010, 07:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

As f0dder suggested I only mean it in regards to situations like this where one of the target customers is corporations. Or where (also this situation) the product seems to be primarily promoted through marketing buzz or hype.

Show me any hobbyist project and I'd consider bad English an indication that the dev actually wants the product to speak for itself. That I'd see as a good thing.

sajman99:
MerleOne, what size disk are you running LaceWatcher on? :tellme:

This proof of concept stuff has me really confused. :huh:

MerleOne:
MerleOne, what size disk are you running LaceWatcher on? :tellme:

This proof of concept stuff has me really confused. :huh:
-sajman99 (March 26, 2010, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

4 partitions, one is 20GB big, the other 85GB (excluded by the software - free version limitation) and the last one 37 GB.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version