topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Integrate into taskbar  (Read 6224 times)

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Integrate into taskbar
« on: January 28, 2006, 03:25 AM »
the program searchfield could be integrated into the windows taskbar like in Copernic

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5493/test9xr.png
Integrate into taskbar
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Integrate into taskbar
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 03:41 AM »
we've talked about this in the past.. the problem is that because of the way farr likes to show its results, in a popup listbox, it's hard to see why having it always visible in a taskbar would really have a benefit.  ie why have it onscreen all the time even when you're not using it?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 04:58 AM »
I was thinking: This idea might be nice, that way, there would be no need for a hotkey (well, maybe to focus), and it would look good, a bit like google search ;)
But it has some problems:
1) those people who don't have taskbars, still need the "normal" farr (don't think this is that much of a problem..)
2) identifying the results can get a bit strange, since you'd have the popup comming upwards from the bar, it would generate a strange behaviour from farr..Try selecting the option "edit bar on the bottom". It becomes quite hard to select the first option, since it isn't right below the edit bar. At least I can't use it like that.
3) maybe it would be only more work for mouser to accomplish an option that people would use in the beginning because it's nice to the eye, but would stop using later since it's not very handy.

just my two cents :)

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 10:48 AM »
I am embarrassed to ask this question but I tried FARR and like it very much.  The problem I have (and it is not unique to FARR) is that when I open the Preferences dialogue, the text is truncated as shown in the attached file.

Any suggestions on how to fix this  ?My screen resolution is set to 1024x768.

Thanks,
jdd

Amadawn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 11:37 AM »
Some of us have experienced (and reported) this same problem, and it is even in the bugtracking system. It is related to the font size. If you are using some non-standard font size (like 120 dpi for instance) FARR does scale the size of the menus accordingly. I believe that mouser is working on that.

Cheers,

Angel

squid head

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 08:58 AM »
That´s a great feature. But dragging the mouse to it or using a hot key is almost the same... It doesn't open a new window, but it will, in the search results.
'Windows Desktop Search' is a great tool, but uses indexing, which causes some problems. It would be nice have such a program, integrate into taskbar, without indexing. Until then, still prefer FRR.