topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Transcendence: Free EV Nova like 2d space exploration / battle / adventure game  (Read 10729 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
This looks and feels a lot like EV Nova, a 2d space game that I loved.  Seems like a great project, and I just played it for a few minutes and was very impressed.

If you are expecting the commercial grade 3d animations that you see in big budget games you will be disappointed, but if you are interested in a more minimalistic 2d sci-fi ship battle and adventurem you just might love it.

After years of work, dozens of intermediate releases, and thousands of suggestions and ideas from the loyal community, Transcendence 1.0 is finally done! To everyone who has ever played the game, and especially to those who have patiently stuck with me for release after release, I offer my most heartfelt thanks. This truly could not have happened without you.

When I released Transcendence version 0.7 back in November 2003 I was confident that I could finish a 1.0 release in a couple of years at most. Even as recently as late 2008, I thought 1.0 would appear in early 2009. While I clearly haven't learned much about predicting my own development cycle, I have learned quite a lot in creating this game. In honor of this release I'd love to share some of what I've learned in hopes that it might be of use to some of you who are engaged in your own game projects.

It also looks like their is a great deal of interesting reading to be done on the site about the one-man development team that spent 7 years on the project.  You can also read a review here: http://news.bigdownl...riday-transcendence/

from http://tigsource.com...5/transcendence-v1-0

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Sounds cool!

Interesting that this should release today. Just yesterday I pulled out my old Universe project (a 2D space game in the vein of EV Nova and Star Control 2) that I hadn't touched in about 1.5 years and started working on it again.

rxantos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Interesting retro game. Takes me back.

doctorfrog

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Though it doesn't seem like this was a massive leap in changes since .98, I'm pleased to finally be playing the 1.0 version of Transcendence. The most immediately noticeable difference seems to be a more lively galaxy, I see traders zipping in between stations now, presumably engaged in trade, and there's been an increase in action from pirates. I'm looking forward to playing to the endgame, eventually!