ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

50 Places Linux is Running That You Might Not Expect

(1/2) > >>

zridling:
Far from being a fringe OS, here are 50 Places Linux is Running That You Might Not Expect divided by categories.

Stoic Joker:
Interesting, but only 49 "surprises" ... Novell doesn't count - Not since they switched to (/jumped/bought) Suse because their own OS was too arcane to survive on the new hardware (no DOS drivers for SATA == byebye Novell). So They damn well better be dog-fooding that puppy.

40hz:
Here's 391 more....

Linux is also running on 78% of the top 500 supercomputers as of last November according to an article over at InternetNews.com

And if you add in the all the commercial NIX variants, such as Centos and Suse enterprise editions, it climbs to something like 88%.

Linux dominates top 500 supercomputer list
By Sean Michael Kerner on November 16, 2009 2:47 PM

From the 'Beefy Penguin' files:

The latest Top 500 Supercomputer list is now out (see my colleague Andy Patrizio's story on InternetNews.com), with the top rig doubling its performance to 1.75 petaflops.

Of particular interest to me is the fact that while multi-core CPU's are the hardware components enabling the fastest computers, it is Linux as the operating system the powers the software.

Just over 78 percent of the top 500 supercomputers run some type of Linux.  The official Top 500 Supercomputer site lists 391 of the top 500 supercomputers as using 'Linux'.

Digging a little deeper, there are 32 additional machines that identify themselves as running some version of Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise Server. There are some 16 that identify Red Hat Linux or one of its derivatives including CentOS.

So doing a little bit of math, at least 88 percent of the list is using some form of Linux, generic or otherwise.

That's astounding. The only other operating system that is even noteworthy beyond Linux is IBM's AIX Unix at 22 systems (or just over 4 percent).

It's also interesting to see how the list has changed over the past nine years.

Back in November of 2000, Linux (generic) represented nearly 11 percent of the top supercomputer list, while AIX dominated at 42 percent. Times do change.

--- End quote ---

Article Link: http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/11/linux-dominates-top-500-superc.html

Stats Link: http://www.top500.org/stats/list/34/os

JavaJones:
Hmm, I'd say only about half of those are any surprise at all. I mean come on, Google, Amazon? *shock* :P At first I thought "Well maybe the list is made for the less informed "average user"", but then I realized that pretty much anyone using Linux would probably know that Google uses it. ;)

I thought it was interesting that US Navy submarines apparently use Linux though...

- Oshyan

zridling:
Despite its mini status on the desktop, Linux is certainly all around us, in phones, cars, planes, embedded devices, toasters, robots, etc. It's a great thing to be able to select which parts of the kernel you need only to run your particular device. No marketing campaign, it just works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version