ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Agent Ransack 2010 freeware lightweight - Desktop Search

<< < (3/5) > >>

joiwind:
Try this too : Index your files, as the name suggests this one does index your files but you can schedule that for during the night or whatever, and when it has indexed them then the search speed even for searches within files is really quite impressive.

(I am not affiliated with IYF)

sajman99:
Try this too : Index your files, as the name suggests this one does index your files but you can schedule that for during the night or whatever, and when it has indexed them then the search speed even for searches within files is really quite impressive.

-joiwind (April 11, 2010, 06:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 for this portable search tool. The most recent version of Index Your Files can now display original (ie. native windows) icons. Previously the non-native icons always bothered me.

But indexing during the night? Whoa, I have to go check my settings! I've never had it take longer than 3 minutes to index all my drives.

Regarding Agent Ransack, some folks don't need or want an indexer always running, consuming memory, and thrashing away at their HD. Particularly if you don't search inside files very often, Agent Ransack is a very solid solution. Unless you have old hardware, Ransack is amazingly fast even though it's a real-time search.

jojo99:

-joiwind (April 11, 2010, 06:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

I replaced the last free version of XI with IYF.  Does what I need it to do and uses a lot less resources than X1.

If you use IE Favorites (I use these in both IE & FF), there is a nice little search program here:

http://www.carthagosoft.net/ff.htm

I also use Agent Ransack.  Where I find it useful is to quickly search a specific folder because AR puts an entry in the right-click menu.

AR can also search across all files on all drives.  So for instance, using the DATE tab, you could find all new .exe or .dll files that have been created after some time.

And AR can search for CONTENT inside a file also.

redstarnyc:
Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but given the infrequent updates I'm a little wary of AR.  I'd love to hear some counter-arguments.

MilesAhead:
I just installed this when I noticed a mention on Gizmo's site.  Haven't used it yet but it looks like a nice tool to have.  For a long time I used Locate32 but I found the method it used to be advised of file system changes provoked the OS into scanning all the files on the chosen drives.  It took me awhile to find the cause.  For that reason I switched to Everything.

But if you are on an older version of Windows locate32 can still be a useful tool, or run it without the file system update option enabled.

I have Windows indexing off so I'm glad to get an alternative type tool.  The name doesn't inspire confidence though.  Anytime I noticed this software I thought "what a name for a malware... like it Ransacks your system!!"  Paranoia inducing product name.  Not exactly great marketing.  Kind of like the "Last Uninstaller."  Makes me think it will be the "last" because my system won't work after I uninstall something with it!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version