ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE - IDEA: modify system path (System Path Commander)

<< < (3/7) > >>

chr15:
Hi,

I thought I would create a little GUI app to do this, the idea was fairly simple to start with,
but it has since been extended many times via the requests from mouser

I cannot thank mouser enough for the name of the app, icon, and especially the testing and ideas :) , but the extra work, hmm maybe ;).

But as you will see soon, I hope you think it is worth it, at least I can say I definitely will use this app.

Chr15

mouser:
i have to say i love what chr has done, and it's exactly the app i've been wanting.
it should be up on the coding snacks download page this week.

mouser:
"System Path Commander" has now been added to the Coding Snacks Download Page:
https://www.donationcoder.com/CodingSnacks/index.php

you will find a screenshot and a readme there as well.

This program was far beyond the original request, and went beyond what i had hoped even.  It's a fantastic tool for power users who want to modify their system path.  one of my favorite snacks so far.  It's not going to be of use to everyone, but those who mess with their system path will love it.

Scott:
Nice job on System Path Commander.  I tried AppPathZ (as mentioned above), and didn't like it at all.  So I thought I'd mention another freeware alternative for editing the "App Paths" registry key: AppPaths.

mouser:
one thing that may need clarification..

both of the other appPath programs are designed for editing a windows registry key that related to paths to specific programs.

System Path Commander does something completely different.
It helps you manage the global system path, which is used when the system searches for programs that are executed.

For example if you have perl or a c++ compiler installed, their paths typically get added to the global system path, so that the compiler tools and interpreters can be found when invoking them.

I think it's also importan to note that SPC turned out to be a significant amount of work.
On the surface its a very simple idea, after all you are just editing a list of directories.
However, if you use the program you will see that some serious work went into making it safe (it keeps detailed logs, is careful about not saving when not asked, etc.), and most importantly, it has features for letting you temporarily disable entries by removing them from the registry key for environment path, but keeping a careful record of them, and their proper order, etc.  the program also has a bunch of cool extra features, like indicating new keys, letting you drag and drop to change order, converting long paths to short versions to save space, etc.

it's a unique program as far as i know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version