ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE - IDEA: modify system path (System Path Commander)

(1/7) > >>

mtp:
an app that adds a specified folder to windows path so it can be run from anywhere .. maybe a commandlineapp like:
add2path.exe "c:\program files\dydlo\"
or even add the function to the explorerrightclickmenu so that you can simply click on a icon to add the path of the app!

mouser:
i happen to think a nice interactive tool to help modify the environment path in a safe way (keeping backup copies of all past settings), is a FANTASTIC little snack idea.
  if someone doesn't code this by the next coding snack weekend i will do it.

Scott:
an app that adds a specified folder to windows path so it can be run from anywhere .. maybe a commandlineapp like:
add2path.exe "c:\program files\dydlo\"
or even add the function to the explorerrightclickmenu so that you can simply click on a icon to add the path of the app!
-mtp (May 03, 2005, 08:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can do this easily, yourself, without a program.  (More accurately, without a compiled program.)  Just add the program name(s) as a subkey to the following key:

--- ---HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths
For example, Insecure Explorer is represented with the following key and values:

--- ---HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\IEXPLORE.EXE
(Default) = C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Path = C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer;
This can be done with a batch script and a command line util like NirCmd (to create the applicable registry values and key).  Adding a context menu item is easy, too.

If I had time, I'd put together the script to do it.  But I don't want to make promises I can't keep.

mouser:
let me explain why i htink this would be a good snack.

my windows xp environment path is too long.

thank you bill gates for putting much too short limits on it. the madness never ends.

so i'm constantly having to watch it and remove stuff and worry about removing something i might later need.

so having a nice safe way to add stuff, disable stuff, and always making sure never to lose anything permanently, would be good even for me who is comfortable changing such stuff manually.

Scott:
Your %path% is over 8,191 chars long?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830473

AFAIK, "App Paths" has no limit, so you'd never have to remove and re-add a program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version