topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 8:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Play as a 3rd World Farmer (free game)  (Read 2354 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Play as a 3rd World Farmer (free game)
« on: July 12, 2010, 02:32 AM »
http://www.3rdworldfarmer.com/

3rd World Farmer is a new kind of game. An experiment in the genre of Serious Games, it simulates some of the real-world mechanisms that cause and sustain poverty in 3rd World countries.

In the game, the player gets to manage an African farm and is soon confronted with the difficult choices that poverty and conflict can cause.

I don't know how accurate this is but ever since buying A Force More Powerful, I wanted to share titles on these genres (serious gaming it's often called) but I just couldn't find much of a game that wasn't either too simple or too complicated.

AFMP was close to narrowing the gap but as one reviewer puts it, often times there was only one path to win a scenario - and I couldn't find a walkthrough or figure it out.

Well, today I got an itch of searching for a walkthrough again and decided to see if there were any other game in Delicious.com that fit the politics/games tag and found 3rd world farmer.

Note that I omitted popular indie titles such as Logitech's Democracy because despite being a good game the developer or the players at least hinted at the difficulty of adopting the ai to follow a Free Market path so at least from the realism aspect that game and it's sequel didn't really capture the reality of the situation.

Not that these games are supposed to be uber-realistic but just the idea that one branch of reality is omitted can often make or break these types of games for me.