ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

MakeMKV beta 1.6.15

<< < (7/9) > >>

superboyac:
Miles, I'm just looking for what Makemkv already does, which is take dvd's and create a single mkv files that retains all the dvd features like the menus, subtitles, and commentary tracks.  I would get Anydvd only for those dvd's that makemkv might have trouble with the protection. I'd use anydvd to make an iso, and then use the iso in makemkv.  I'm not interested in any kind of lossless transcoding or anything.  I want to retain the full quality.  I'm going to need many more hard drives to fit all of these mkv files.  Good riddance to dvd players.

MilesAhead:
To me the deal on AnyDVD seems kind of steep.  I believe I did the trial a few months ago.  Didn't work on everything.  For me if it's going to be hit and miss anyway, I'll go with the free options as much as possible.  If you're trying to cover all the bases that may be a strategy. :)

I don't like the idea to paying again for software unless you get something with it besides the program.  For example one of the binary news readers I have is Usenet Explorer. It expires periodically, but the software keeps working.  Forking over to extend the license, other than updates, also includes an nzb search service subscription.  That I can deal with.  But to buy another software that expires just to get me to pay again, I wouldn't do it. Not unless it printed money that passed Secret Service inspection. :)

4wd:
Miles, I'm just looking for what Makemkv already does, which is take dvd's and create a single mkv files that retains all the dvd features like the menus, subtitles, and commentary tracks.  I would get Anydvd only for those dvd's that makemkv might have trouble with the protection. I'd use anydvd to make an iso, and then use the iso in makemkv.  I'm not interested in any kind of lossless transcoding or anything.  I want to retain the full quality.  I'm going to need many more hard drives to fit all of these mkv files.  Good riddance to dvd players.-superboyac (December 13, 2010, 12:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

If it's predominantly for DVDs that you want it, then DVD43 is similar, (and free), ie. it's a driver that decodes DVD protection on the fly - nothing else.  No creating ISOs, modifying PGC to jump to menu, etc but it will allow other programs to do it, eg. ImgBurn to create ISO, MakeMKV to create a mkv.

Not as updated as AnyDVD but then DVD protection changes very little these days.

Otherwise, I use RipIt4Me for DVD decryption - it uses DVD Decryptor but parses the DVD structure to remove FBI warnings, jump to menu, etc.  It can also call DVD Shrink following so that can be used to output an ISO.

MilesAhead:
MakeMKV 1.6.3 released.

superboyac:
Miles, I really have to thank you for introducing me to MakeMKV.  It has made transferring my movie collection to my computer a joy.  It's such a simple, effective tool.  Exactly how more of these video software should be.  It's basically a one button program to convert your dvd to a file on your computer.  No command line nonsense, and no crazy options about this technical thing and that thing about codecs and muxes and what not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version