topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: MakeMKV beta 1.6.15  (Read 38552 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New MakeMKV beta 1.6.2
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 06:44 PM »
Miles, would you know how Makemkv compares to something like CloneDVD from slysoft?  I've used clonedvd in the past, and I don't think it's quite as simple or produces better results than what I've seen with makemkv.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 07:26 PM »
I've never tried CloneDVD.  But from just looking on their web site it implies it uses a transcoder.. sort of like DVD Shrink.  Which can be ok if the output size is very close to the input size.

I don't know if there's a "no compression" setting to just get the contents the way MakeMKV does.  When MakeMKV doesn't work I try DVDFab Passkey to decrypt.  Then use other tools on the backup folder.

Plus if MakeMKV works on the disc you can just use the backup button in the toolbar to back up all the files instead of converting to .mkv.

If you want to produce standard dvd output BD Rebuilder will do it. No selectable subtitle support yet though. In fact on the BDRB thread on Doom9 somebody mentions CloneDVD.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 06:06 AM »
I've never tried CloneDVD.  But from just looking on their web site it implies it uses a transcoder.. sort of like DVD Shrink.  Which can be ok if the output size is very close to the input size.

Technically, CloneDVD isn't a transcoder, (similar but not the same because there is no change of format), instead of encoding to another format it just lowers the bitrate enabling it to fit on smaller media.  You can see it doing this if you watch it's graphical display, original bitrate compared to lowered bitrate.

And as you said, this is OK if the final size is close to original - otherwise you're better off using an encoder to get better quality output.

If you set the output to DVD9 then no bitrate reduction will occur, (same thing in DVD Shrink), so the output will be of the same quality as input.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 12:10 PM »
@superboyac if you are looking for DVD in to DVD out then BD Rebuilder does not fit the bill.  It accepts BluRay as input.

To compress DVD9 to DVD5 with high quality I recommend DVD Rebuilder Pro. One of the included encoders is HC encode.  The pro version allows you to launch an instance per core similar to FAVC.  Also there are some other tweaks including converting letterboxed DVD to 16x9.  Settings for movie only backup or main movie with menus.

It's kind of interesting to watch it as it breaks the movie up into pieces, does the encoding, then reassembles it.  There's a technical explanation online someplace about the algorithm but my eyes glazed over after the first paragraph.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:16 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 12:20 PM »
@4wd guess it's one of those terms where the people who get it wrong insist on using it anyway. I remember when I was a kid, everyone I knew used the term centrifical force.  Image my chagrin when I moved to a different neighborhood and found out there's no such thing. :(

The Wiki entry for Transrating is there, but it's empty. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transrating

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:25 PM by MilesAhead »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 12:52 PM »
Miles, I'm just looking for what Makemkv already does, which is take dvd's and create a single mkv files that retains all the dvd features like the menus, subtitles, and commentary tracks.  I would get Anydvd only for those dvd's that makemkv might have trouble with the protection. I'd use anydvd to make an iso, and then use the iso in makemkv.  I'm not interested in any kind of lossless transcoding or anything.  I want to retain the full quality.  I'm going to need many more hard drives to fit all of these mkv files.  Good riddance to dvd players.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 03:44 PM »
To me the deal on AnyDVD seems kind of steep.  I believe I did the trial a few months ago.  Didn't work on everything.  For me if it's going to be hit and miss anyway, I'll go with the free options as much as possible.  If you're trying to cover all the bases that may be a strategy. :)

I don't like the idea to paying again for software unless you get something with it besides the program.  For example one of the binary news readers I have is Usenet Explorer. It expires periodically, but the software keeps working.  Forking over to extend the license, other than updates, also includes an nzb search service subscription.  That I can deal with.  But to buy another software that expires just to get me to pay again, I wouldn't do it. Not unless it printed money that passed Secret Service inspection. :)

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:48 PM by MilesAhead »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 05:35 PM »
Miles, I'm just looking for what Makemkv already does, which is take dvd's and create a single mkv files that retains all the dvd features like the menus, subtitles, and commentary tracks.  I would get Anydvd only for those dvd's that makemkv might have trouble with the protection. I'd use anydvd to make an iso, and then use the iso in makemkv.  I'm not interested in any kind of lossless transcoding or anything.  I want to retain the full quality.  I'm going to need many more hard drives to fit all of these mkv files.  Good riddance to dvd players.

If it's predominantly for DVDs that you want it, then DVD43 is similar, (and free), ie. it's a driver that decodes DVD protection on the fly - nothing else.  No creating ISOs, modifying PGC to jump to menu, etc but it will allow other programs to do it, eg. ImgBurn to create ISO, MakeMKV to create a mkv.

Not as updated as AnyDVD but then DVD protection changes very little these days.

Otherwise, I use RipIt4Me for DVD decryption - it uses DVD Decryptor but parses the DVD structure to remove FBI warnings, jump to menu, etc.  It can also call DVD Shrink following so that can be used to output an ISO.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:38 PM by 4wd »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New MakeMKV beta 1.6.3
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2010, 11:29 AM »
MakeMKV 1.6.3 released.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2011, 09:24 PM »
Miles, I really have to thank you for introducing me to MakeMKV.  It has made transferring my movie collection to my computer a joy.  It's such a simple, effective tool.  Exactly how more of these video software should be.  It's basically a one button program to convert your dvd to a file on your computer.  No command line nonsense, and no crazy options about this technical thing and that thing about codecs and muxes and what not.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2011, 02:36 PM »
It is a nice tool.  Worth the $50. I haven't used it much on standard DVD but the ones I have played fine in my WD player.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New MakeMKV beta 1.6.4
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2011, 07:05 PM »
version 1.6.4 has been released.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New MakeMKV beta 1.6.5
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 07:47 PM »
version 1.6.5 is the latest. I think some issues were introduced in 1.6.4. Since I have a licensed copy I backed off to 1.6.3 until things shake out.  In any case I noticed a basic guide posted today.  Naturally I couldn't resist sticking my $.02 in the comments section:

http://adubvideo.net...uray-dvd-mkv-makemkv

If you should feel the need to back off to an older version there's a topic in the MakeMKV forum with a link to old versions.  Shouldn't be tough to find.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New MakeMKV beta 1.6.6
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2011, 08:52 PM »
version 1.6.6 is finally out.  I haven't run it through its paces to see if it's back on track. I've updated for the time being.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New MakeMKV beta 1.6.8
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2011, 11:12 PM »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New MakeMKV beta 1.6.9
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2011, 04:22 PM »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MakeMKV beta 1.6.12
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2011, 08:05 PM »
MakeMKV beta 1.6.12 Looks like some important fixes are included in this release:
http://www.makemkv.com/download/

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MakeMKV beta 1.6.13
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2011, 05:56 PM »
MakeMKV beta 1.6.13  Change Log and download page

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MakeMKV beta 1.6.15
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2011, 05:55 PM »
MakeMKV beta 1.6.15 released.  Still in "free beta" mode.