topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: MakeMKV beta 1.6.15  (Read 38659 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
MakeMKV beta 1.6.15
« on: March 21, 2010, 09:58 PM »
MakeMKV released another beta today.  Should be good for 60 days iirc.

This program is nice if you have a set top player like WD HDTV for USB or similar that plays .mkv.

The nice feature over utilities that just sit in the tray and open the disc in the BDROM is this sifts through the files and presents a list of titles, filtering out stuff too short to be of interest.  It also has a mechanism to get forced subtitles.

It is a beta but the pricing has been set at $50, no subscription or renewal fees.. just a flat $50.
Here's the link to it on videohelp:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MakeMKV

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 11:08 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New MakeMKV beta
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 01:01 PM »
btw the author keeps posting temporary registration keys on the site.  He has promised free use of the program as long as it is in beta. You can get the latest key here:

http://www.makemkv.c...c.php?f=5&t=1053

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 01:57 PM »
MakeMKV 1.5.3 beta released:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:07 AM »
MilesAhead,
Does makeMKV get rid of all that FBI warning stuff that you have to wade through on most DVD's?
For example, does it make my movie watching experience more "pirate"-like?  I'm, of course, referencing that great image that zridling posted here earlier:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=21888.0

If I rip my dvd's, i want to get rid of all that annoying stuff.  I want to be able to double-click a file and start watching immediately.  No waiting for trailers, copyright warnings, any kind of unskippable menu parts, etc.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 11:19 AM »
What it does is analyze and show a tree of titles.  You select each title, which audio you want, subtitles etc.. and it makes an .mkv file for each title.  It's fast because it just remuxes.  It doesn't do any conversion.  If the best audio for the title is DTS(the next best is only 2 channel stereo say) I select that, then use Popcorn audio converter to convert to AC3 since my set top box doesn't handle DTS.

Afa conversion to DVD you can use any converter that can handle .mkv input.
The other main strong point is it is set by default to eliminate "titles" less than 2 minutes in duration. That should get rid of warnings, dumb motion menus etc..

I excels with discs with a main movie. It can still get confused with episodic discs such as TV show episodes.  But the author is working on that aspect.

I've gone along with 4 or 5 beta versions and I've never had one do anything rude like lock up my machine or anything so I would definitely say to try it.  There's a free temporary registration key that gets updated on the forum.  He says as long as it's in beta he'll keep updating the reg key.  It works well enough already that I paid the $50.  He promises a one shot charge... no update fees, subscriptions etc..

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:35 PM »
(I know i should just try it, but I don't have the time yet)
When you say it can retain the meta-data, does that mean I can have one mkv file that still has menus, chapters, etc.?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 10:36 PM »
I don't believe I mentioned meta-data.  You should really read here if you want to know from people with the 1st hand info:

http://www.makemkv.c...m2/viewforum.php?f=1

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 01:21 PM »
A new beta release today,

http://www.makemkv.c...c.php?f=5&t=1054

along with reg key good until June,

http://www.makemkv.c...c.php?f=5&t=1053

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 06:13 PM »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 09:22 AM »
Looks like a good program, but it doesn't look like $50 worth of programming to me. I think I'll wait for a sale before I pick it up.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 08:35 PM »
It's free to use for who knows how long.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 09:49 PM »
I'd rather not get hooked on a program's features and then have the rug pulled out from under me later, so to speak.

I'll wait to see if there are any sales on the horizon.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 04:58 PM »
Keep your eyes open since the copy protection/registration service he uses has an option to apply a discount.  Somebody already asked about it on the forum.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 01:37 PM »
btw another feature that's not in the forefront, this software can do a full backup of BluRay disc to your HD.  There are other dedicated programs like AnyDVDHD and DVDFab PassKey that are still in beta.  AnyDVDHD has a history of requiring renewed purchase after a period of time.  I have no way to know the price point of DVDFab PassKey when it goes out of beta.

The author of MakeMKV promises a one shot $50 registration fee that never expires.  Just something to consider. Plus it's still in beta and free for use for who knows how long.

edit: btw I already paid for my copy.  Can use on as many machines as I own personally. I don't get any brownie points, kickback or free anything for touting it. I guess I just like "one programmer" projects.  Nice to have something that works that isn't done by committee.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 01:40 PM by MilesAhead »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 09:26 PM »
There are other dedicated programs like AnyDVDHD and DVDFab PassKey that are still in beta.  AnyDVDHD has a history of requiring renewed purchase after a period of time.

This is an inaccurate statement. AnyDVD HD is definitely not in beta although beta versions of upcoming versions are frequently released.

Also, if one purchases a lifetime license one does not have to renew purchases after a period of time. The only time something like this remotely happened was when AnyDVD HD was released and it was a paid upgrade from AnyDVD. AnyDVD HD should have been named something different as it includes functionality that was never within the scope of AnyDVD.

Now having said that even though I bought both AnyDVD & AnyDVD HD a long time ago at a deeply discounted price compared to what these programs are going for today. I don't think I could recommend anyone buying them at their current price.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 01:19 AM »
The salient phrase being "if one purchases a lifetime license" which implies there's a non lifetime licensed, which is what I'm talking about.

MakeMKV is a one shot registration fee.  Big difference.
Since you don't want to buy either I don't understand the nitpicking.

Whatever the pricing scheme it's likely to change now that there's competing products.
The point being, for one price MakeMKV does the decrypting, makes a backup, and also can produce titles as individual .mkv files where you can select the audio and subtitle streams you want to keep.  Does more for less is the point.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 01:22 AM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 04:11 PM »
MakeMKV 1.58 beta has been released.  For some reason videohelp.com gets updated before the MakeMKV forum:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 05:38 PM »
I tried this latest version on a couple of my conventional DVDs.  Worked very smoothly.  I could pull out the main movie with the subtitle track and audio I wanted very easily.

As a bonus it turns out my WD set top box will display the VobSub streams in an .mkv file.

Bionic71

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 05:35 PM »
thanks miles, i've tried makemkv for a while @my netgear eva9150 streaming & storage, the program works really great and as you said it's a onetime fee, price is fine.

normally i do not buy beta but works so great, great deal of usefulness & ease of use, still i'd like more infos on what to rip & a preview window would be nice to.
i did buy a copy much thanks to you & it's always nice to get feedback based on your experience & recommendations so there you go, thanks for your input.

: maybe the programmer should remove that discount field if not in use upon purchase hence seems to start riots in their forum at times.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 06:04 PM »
I'm glad the program is working out for you. I guess it is slow going with a one man shop. I know I felt a bit weird after shelling out $50 and then it just goes along and is still beta... but I figure the program does work as well as most paid programs as it is, and with the license key, if it goes away at least I can keep using it as it is.

When you deal with these market services, you end up squishing your octagonal peg into their square hole.  I have a feeling the discount thing is something he couldn't turn off if he wanted to.  But that's just my intuition.  Maybe the developer is a perfectionist, but I agree with you the program works well enough to charge for it. He should probably release it as commercial and give a discount for a time and get things moving.  But I don't know what's going on.  Maybe there's some other ducks he wants to get in a row before he takes the plunge. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New MakeMKV beta 1.6.0
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 01:41 PM »
v. 1.6.0 out today.  I've done a run with it.  Seems normal.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New MakeMKV beta 1.6.2
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 02:19 PM »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 06:41 PM »
Hmmmmm, if the info on videohelp is correct, they are now asking $70 for MakeMKV.  Now I don't feel so bad about shelling out $50 some months ago.

edit: not sure what's up.  If you go to Avangate purchase page it still says $50.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 06:45 PM by MilesAhead »

Bionic71

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 06:45 AM »
many online shops are a mess miles,
when comes to makemkv if you are in europe, avangate presents 50€/10€ VAT
and final cost would be 80$ -> this if i were to use an european ip address  :down:

if you visit the online shop with a usa ip address, the dollar price will be fixed,
and if you were to visit an affiliate online shop and then secondary visit main shop
the ie cookie you have stored will present the affiliate pricing wich you visited first.

majorgeeks, store.v3.co.uk, nero & many other shops presents different prices,discounts depending on your region  :down:
it's worth checking out, however i prefer not to use a different ip address when using my credit card wich can be seen fraudulent.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 09:44 AM »
I posted a question on the MakeMKV forum.  The author replied that the VideoHelp.com listing has incorrect info.

That's why it surprised me. I had the impression that at least for US purchase it was going to be a flat $50 for the foreseeable future.

Anyway here's the link so people can see for themselves:

http://www.makemkv.c...c.php?f=1&t=2038