ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

MakeMKV beta 1.6.15

<< < (6/9) > >>

superboyac:
Miles, would you know how Makemkv compares to something like CloneDVD from slysoft?  I've used clonedvd in the past, and I don't think it's quite as simple or produces better results than what I've seen with makemkv.

MilesAhead:
I've never tried CloneDVD.  But from just looking on their web site it implies it uses a transcoder.. sort of like DVD Shrink.  Which can be ok if the output size is very close to the input size.

I don't know if there's a "no compression" setting to just get the contents the way MakeMKV does.  When MakeMKV doesn't work I try DVDFab Passkey to decrypt.  Then use other tools on the backup folder.

Plus if MakeMKV works on the disc you can just use the backup button in the toolbar to back up all the files instead of converting to .mkv.

If you want to produce standard dvd output BD Rebuilder will do it. No selectable subtitle support yet though. In fact on the BDRB thread on Doom9 somebody mentions CloneDVD.

4wd:
I've never tried CloneDVD.  But from just looking on their web site it implies it uses a transcoder.. sort of like DVD Shrink.  Which can be ok if the output size is very close to the input size.-MilesAhead (December 12, 2010, 07:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Technically, CloneDVD isn't a transcoder, (similar but not the same because there is no change of format), instead of encoding to another format it just lowers the bitrate enabling it to fit on smaller media.  You can see it doing this if you watch it's graphical display, original bitrate compared to lowered bitrate.

And as you said, this is OK if the final size is close to original - otherwise you're better off using an encoder to get better quality output.

If you set the output to DVD9 then no bitrate reduction will occur, (same thing in DVD Shrink), so the output will be of the same quality as input.

MilesAhead:
@superboyac if you are looking for DVD in to DVD out then BD Rebuilder does not fit the bill.  It accepts BluRay as input.

To compress DVD9 to DVD5 with high quality I recommend DVD Rebuilder Pro. One of the included encoders is HC encode.  The pro version allows you to launch an instance per core similar to FAVC.  Also there are some other tweaks including converting letterboxed DVD to 16x9.  Settings for movie only backup or main movie with menus.

It's kind of interesting to watch it as it breaks the movie up into pieces, does the encoding, then reassembles it.  There's a technical explanation online someplace about the algorithm but my eyes glazed over after the first paragraph.

MilesAhead:
@4wd guess it's one of those terms where the people who get it wrong insist on using it anyway. I remember when I was a kid, everyone I knew used the term centrifical force.  Image my chagrin when I moved to a different neighborhood and found out there's no such thing. :(

The Wiki entry for Transrating is there, but it's empty. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transrating

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version