topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:50 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Stephen's Weekly Tech News - Edition 6  (Read 5141 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Stephen's Weekly Tech News - Edition 6
« on: March 21, 2010, 02:38 PM »
StephensMasthead (Rev01).gif

Welcome to this weeks edition of 'Stephen's Tech News' - By now, you all know that this is a selection of my favorite news stories from across the globe, and are placed in no particular order.  Anyway, I hope you are all as interested in them as I am!

-Stephen

Message from the grave, straight to your cell phone

Yet more ways for the dearly departed to reach out from beyond the grave. We've seen memorializing on Facebook, even tombstones with video screens where the dead get to speak their piece in an endless loop. Now, there's yet another way to communicate with the dead, high-tech style, minus the abracadabra of seances and mediums.

A Phoenix-based company called Objecs has created the ...Read More...

Microsoft, 'open' data, and the curse of open source - Thanks a lot, HTML5

Do the rise of cloud computing and the outbreak of peace on open standards in the browser mean programmers will be forced to find new ways to make money online?

In the last few days, Microsoft surrendered to common sense by announcing that Internet Explorer will finally embrace common standards with HTML5.

It was a critical moment that potentially means...Read More...

Google to flee China on April 10, says report - Announcement on Monday. Apparently

Google may exit China on April 10, according to a report citing an unidentified sales agent for the company.

The Shanghai-based China Business News also cites a Google China employee saying that the company will announce its Chinese plans on Monday, March 22. This will apparently include information on how it will compensate employees if it does indeed depart the country.

The paper's source for the April 10 date does say that Google itself has yet to...[http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/19/google_china_possible_april_exit/]Read More...[/url]

Computer glitch prompts 50 raids on elderly couple's home - 51st time's the charm

New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg apologized to an elderly Brooklyn couple on Friday for about 50 door-pounding visits police made to their home resulting from a glitch in one of the department's computers.

Police used the address of Rose and and Walter Martin's modest home as part of...Read More...

Living in a Constant State of Red-Alert Security

Literally every day at Betanews, we get at least one security vendor "alert" of some type, warning us to be on the lookout for the latest malware. The message is always the same: Advise users to stay vigilant, to keep patching, to upgrade their antivirus to the latest editions. However, the profiles of the malware typically look the same, too -- stuff you might click on by accident, links pretending to be from your "best friend" in an e-mail message, ads for products that look...Read More...

Bill Curbs President's Power to Flip Internet Off-Switch

If the U.S. comes under cyberattack, how much authority should the president have to shut down the Internet? That's at the core of the debate over different versions of the cybersecurity legislation currently in circulation in Washington. Senate Bill 733 limits that authority...Read More

Google Hatches Plot to Break Into TV

Google, Intel and Sony have teamed up to develop a platform called "Google TV" that will bring about a new way to surf the Internet via televisions, according to The New York Times. Logitech, which makes remote controls and computer devices, will reportedly develop peripherals for the platform...Read More...

Inside the world's first 3D satellite broadcaster

Satellite broadcaster Sky has made no secret of its 3D ambitions. Using the Sky+HD platform, it will introduce a 3D service next month.

It goes without saying that this puts Sky at the forefront of broadcasting technology. But in Japan, a much smaller satcaster has already been paving the way with its own innovative 3D broadcasts.

BS11 is a relative minnow in the...Read More...

6 handy tools to tune up your PC

A rolling stone gathers no moss, or so the saying goes. It must be going down a really big hill, or a mountain. Or just be rolling on some kind of rock treadmill. I am actually going somewhere with this: your PC is like a stone that gathers moss. Horrible digital moss that stops your PC rolling.

Each time you add a new game, or...Read More...

New research finds Macs in the enterprise easier, cheaper to manage than Windows PCs

Shocking: A recent survey of enterprise IT managers that administer both PCs and Macs finds that Macs have a better TOC (total cost of ownership) than Windows boxes, and require less user training and help....Read More...

Video of The Week

Got a story you feel needs sharing with the world? Submit it to me via PM and, after approval and verification, I will happily add it to next weeks Tech News!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Stephen's Weekly Tech News - Edition 6
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 03:07 PM »
Re: Message from the grave, straight to your cell phone

Interesting...

But I'm thinking it might even be even more 'fun' to program an Eliza-like chatter-bot with my own distinctive choice of words and phrases (and my warped sense of humor) so that all two visitors to my grave could have a zero-content 'interactive' chat with me after I've left this plane of existence...hmmm...

(Like I said, warped sense of humor.  ;D)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 03:10 PM by 40hz »

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Stephen's Weekly Tech News - Edition 6
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 03:21 PM »
Re: Message from the grave, straight to your cell phone

Interesting...

But I'm thinking it might even be even more 'fun' to program an Eliza-like chatter-bot with my own distinctive choice of words and phrases (and my warped sense of humor) so that all two visitors to my grave could have a zero-content 'interactive' chat with me after I've left this plane of existence...hmmm...

(Like I said, warped sense of humor.  ;D)

or something like the hologram off iRobot maybe? lol