topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Greenbox LogoMaker: Free  (Read 7096 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Greenbox LogoMaker: Free
« on: March 23, 2010, 06:01 AM »
Greenbox LogoMaker 3 is normally $29.99, but I found a page on Avanquest's website where you can get the older v2 for free if you register for their mailing list. Additionally, through this mailing list Avanquest will tell you when they have other offers for free software.

I just tried it out and it's a rather nice application for the graphically challenged, much nicer than the Sothink logo maker that is being offered free on GAOTD today.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Greenbox LogoMaker: Free
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 11:17 AM »
Normally I agree with most you say, App103, but not on this. I have Studio V5 Logomaker 3 from Avanquest, and I am glad that giveawayoftheday now is offering a better & nicer logo maker...  :P 

Of course I said this a little too strong; What I really mean is that Sothink Logomaker is very nice and easy to use, just not as advanced as Logomaker 3.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 11:45 AM »

How does a 'Logomaker' work ?

Does it give you design tips ?
  Does it say - no, dont do that, do this ?
  does it have a bunch of clipart included ?

(just trying to get my head around this, thanks!)
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 12:02 PM »
it is both free and safe to try today's giveaway...

screenshot:

20133.gifGreenbox LogoMaker: Free

http://www.giveawayo...hink-logo-maker-1-0/

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 12:21 PM »
Mailing list sign-up appears to be optional - or at least I could uncheck it and still proceed to the download.

Not sure what to do with it - I have 0 art skills - But thanks for the tip! :)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 09:43 PM »
How does a 'Logomaker' work ?

Does it give you design tips ?
  Does it say - no, dont do that, do this ?
  does it have a bunch of clipart included ?

(just trying to get my head around this, thanks!)

Comes with lots of objects, shapes, backgrounds, clipart and example logos you can edit to make them totally unique.
Can use CMYK, RGB, or grayscale, making your logos suitable for print as well as web use. (Sothink is only RGB, so it's only suitable for web use)

Normally I agree with most you say, App103, but not on this. I have Studio V5 Logomaker 3 from Avanquest, and I am glad that giveawayoftheday now is offering a better & nicer logo maker...  :P 

Of course I said this a little too strong; What I really mean is that Sothink Logomaker is very nice and easy to use, just not as advanced as Logomaker 3.

All I can say is to give both a try. You might find one more powerful than the other, you might find the collection of objects in one of them smaller and more limiting, or you might find you like them both. Personally, I am going to keep both of them and use whichever will get the job done for what I need it for.

While the one from Sothink is an easier application to use, I found the size of the object, clipart, and sample logo collection very limited and there is no mention of anything related to providing add-on packs in the future (for either application), which to me means at this time, all you see is all you get. And if that is the case, then Greenbox Logo Maker is giving you a lot more to work with.

To be perfectly honest, if the collection included with Greenbox was included in Sothink, then I would prefer the one from Sothink. Greenbox also includes a vector editor for creating your own objects from scratch, so if you do have some talent, you can increase the collection even more, without having to use an external application to do it. That is something the Sothink application is missing, too.

Mailing list sign-up appears to be optional - or at least I could uncheck it and still proceed to the download.

Well, that's good to know, but if they are giving more software away, I want to know about it, so I didn't mind signing up for the mailing list.

Not sure what to do with it - I have 0 art skills - But thanks for the tip! :)

And stuff like this is made for the artistically challenged. Easy to get good results when most of the work is done for you and it's just a matter of snapping it all together.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 04:39 AM »
thanks App & Curt for the description & screenshot :Thmbsup:
Tom