ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: usb drive backup program

(1/8) > >>

techidave:
Not sure this exist but haven't found it yet here on dc or by googling.

I am looking for a small program that would provide to sync my usb drive to my local hard drive.  It needs to compress it but by using the normal compression methods, nothing special.

It also needs to pop up a window before auto syncing to ask me if I want to sync.  Sometimes I may want to copy or add a file rather than syncing.

Perhaps syncing isn't the right word here, not sure.

If such a program exist, it needs to be free.

Any takers??

MilesAhead:
I would check into FreeCommander portable:
http://www.freecommander.com/fc_u3_en.htm

It's not "automatic" sync.  What it does is you compare 2 folders with or without subfolder inclusion.  It shows which way copies would go of each file with an arrow.  You can delete entries if you don't want a particular one to be copied.  You hit the Sync button and all the copies commence.  If you just want to copy particular files without using the Sync feature, you highlight them and hit F5 or use drag & drop. 2 Folder panes are visible so F5 would copy to the other pane.  You can have multiple tabs on each side.

Plus it has "Layouts" which are collections of tabs.  You can set up folders you would often sync in a Layout.  A typical syncing session for me is select Web from the layouts, Compare, Sync... select Source Code from the Layouts, Compare, Sync.

2 Folders synced with subfolders included in about 6 clicks.
It's free and I've been using it for years.  Very reliable.
Also does other stuff like ftp client.
You can use some external file copy utilities instead of Explorer copy
such as TeraCopy and a couple of others.

tomos:
It needs to compress it
-techidave (March 20, 2010, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Aren't syncing & compressing incompatible as such - I mean it becomes a backup then doesnt it - I'm not sure how much the terminology matters, but if compression is important there are probably free backup apps that will do (some of) what you want..

techidave:
I want the compression just to save space on my hard drive.  I have a 16gb pen drive and would like for the sync or backup to take up as little space as possible on my hard drive.  It seems that I hardly make a copy of my pen drive somewhere and then the drive dies and I am out of luck.

And I don't want something that does "a lot" of things, just my bare necessities. 

Miles, I will check out your Free Commander but it may do more than I want.  Plus, I want something that will be automatic after I say yes I want to make a backup or sync.

Deozaan:
I wonder if someone could just make a little script that creates an archive of the entire USB drive and saves it to a customizable folder (changed in settings.ini or something) and then you could just place the compiled script, settings, and an autorun.inf right on the USB drive so that when you insert it, auto-run will run the script.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version