topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: gleeBox - Web browsing just got better.  (Read 6798 times)

pyrohacker

• Joined in 2008
  • Coder, gamer, loving it.
    • View Profile
    • Mindful Code
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
gleeBox - Web browsing just got better.
« on: March 18, 2010, 11:44 PM »
Okay, so I was kind of shocked when I searched DC for this topic a moment ago, and I found nothing.  This really surprises me, since DC is usually the best place to go for info on all the best software.  Therefore, I feel compelled to bring to light a certain extension that has totally and completely enhanced my web browsing in the space of only a couple days.  Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome:  gleeBox.

This tool is the resurrected form of the command line, an ancient interface that is only used today by the most savvy of technology users.  This command line is different, however, because of the great and spacious domain it commands:  The Internet.  That's right, a command line for your web browser.  Mostly.

GleeBox is many things.  It is a way to navigate webpages, sans mouse.  It is a YubNub command interpreter.  It can be a bookmark search, a JavaScript launcher, a sharing tool, and virtually everything else you can do on the Web.  It can nearly replace your address bar, your search bar, and your tab bar.  Sounds great, eh?  Well, I'm probably playing it up a few dozen notches, but nothing I've said here is in any way completely false.

gleeBox.jpggleeBox - Web browsing just got better.

I'm going to provide an inadequate list of some of the best ways that I use gleeBox:
  • !read command:  Extracts text from a page and makes it readable.
  • !login command:  Used with a LastPass bookmarklet, logs you into a page.
  • !later command:  Used with the Instapaper bookmarklet to save a page for later.
  • !set <option> :  Lets you alter settings without visiting the Options page.
  • :wa command:  Creates a Wolfram|Alpha search through YubNub.

I'm only just kidding when I say that I don't think I can go back to the Internet without gleeBox; it's become that indispensable to me.  I've been coming up with some nifty ESP Visions (wonderful feature, see User Manual), and I've put most of them on the TipJar site.  Look for pyrohacker's posts.  
Funny that programmers chose the phrase "Hello, World" while most of us are introverts.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: gleeBox - Web browsing just got better.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 12:39 AM »
For Firefox and Chrom only.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 10:33 AM »
Hey thanks, I am always interested in better ways of doing things. At the moment I use Firefox with Vimperator and text based browsers(lunx,links etc). I will definetely check it out

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:51 PM »
Wow! Very nice app. I've played with it about 5 minutes and already I'm impressed. Have to give it a real workout when I get a chance to read the manual more carefully.

Almost makes me think of of Launchy for a browser.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 01:22 AM »
I trI tried and it did not work for me. As far as I can tell it is nowhere near close to Vimperator in my view. But I can see that it can appeal to many other

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 09:32 AM »
As far as I can tell it is nowhere near close to Vimperator in my view.
Full ACK. However, its UI is more like Ubiquity (which is not as mighty anyway).