ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Yay, Upgrade time! - Inspire me with hardware I can buy =-D

(1/8) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
Hey guys,

In the next few weeks, I am hoping to find the time to upgrade what has become my main machine since I broke my beast  >:(

Currently...I'm running on:

Onboard Graphics
Onboard Sound
1GB RAM
3.0GHz P4
19" 1080p Screen
Appx 4TB of HDD Space {Internal + External} (Prob the only good thing about this machine lol)

My MOBO doesn't support PCI-e or AGP...gawd knows why, but it doesn't matter much cause i have a gigabyte 7NF-RZ sat in a drawer of my PC table doing nothing and even though its old, it supports AGP, so if not good PCI gfx cards are available, then i suppose ill change my mobo to the GB one lol.

Anyone got any good ideas/links to what I should stick in the machine?

Thanks

-Stephen

:Thmbsup:

JavaJones:
I'm confused, are you suggesting that you're going to "upgrade" while sticking with this ancient hardware? :D

You're unlikely to find much that will really improve your experience there. I really think you're better off spending a little more and getting a new or mostly new system. New motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc. It's possible though unlikely that you could keep the power supply. You might be able to keep the case...

And of course, always the question with this kind of thing: what's your budget?

- Oshyan

Dormouse:
I really think you're better off spending a little more
-JavaJones (March 16, 2010, 03:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I generally find I am better off spending a little less, or rather spending a lot less and preferably nothing at all. ;)

The gain from not spending is always guaranteed and countable - the gains from spending are always uncertain and, with hindsight, often virtually non-existent.

JavaJones:
Hmm, yeah I guess we just disagree there. I think with proper research, you can find the right product(s) that will make your expenditure feel worthwhile. I have a pretty good track record (by my own reckoning of value of course, heh) with that.

For example I just bought a Core i7 860 and motherboard, 4GB of RAM, new case and power supply, for under $600 shipped (from Tiger Direct, no tax). This is not cheap by any means, but it's an extremely good price/performance ratio for a rendering system, which is what I'm using it for. I of course had the hard drive, CD/DVD-ROM, used onboard graphics on the motherboard, and bought an OS for it (separate, about $80).

Given that many of the same components probably carry over in Stephen's system, and he probably doesn't need an i7, a very good upgrade could probably be had for $200 or so, including motherboard, CPU, RAM, case, and power supply. That seems like a pretty small amount, especially since it seemed clear he was willing to spend *something* and there's very little hardware of any value as an upgrade that you're going to get for less than $50.

- Oshyan

wraith808:
It really depends on what you're *doing* with your computer whether spending more will get you the gains that justify the money, IMO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version