topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Donationcoder: How did you find it + What has your experience been like so far.  (Read 30998 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi. My name is Michael and I am a software addict.

I hope you take my post in the same vein as it was meant - mean and nasty...   purely in jest!!

Hey, I have seen just about everyone else here rib you about that; I just couldn't pass it up!   :Thmbsup:

Jim

No offence taken ;D

My software addiction is well documented on this forum. I am OCD about anything that captures my imagination at a particular point in time - let's see, Artie Shaw recordings, the Beatles, the Avro Arrow, wristwatches, fountain pens, calculators, Multi-tools, my '67 GTO, several unfortunate girls in high school... That's just off the top of my head!

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i came from ShellNetCity. they mentioned "super happy find and run robot" as FARR was back then. i had a quick chat with mouser and he seemed like a very cool bloke - i wanted to help out however i could after that - which eventually became cody.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't remember how I got here. :( But probably some random software-related search, or possibly, just possibly, a newsletter from some techie-type person out there. If anyone has any further info on my superhero back story, please share. :D

- Oshyan

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Found through SHELL EXTENSION CITY
-cranioscopical (March 15, 2010, 10:02 PM)
Me too

One of the very few places on the web that I try to visit on a daily basis.
Other than the weather, the only place I check every day.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ah, thanks to packrat email habits and Gmail search, I have unraveled the mystery. Straight from the horse's (er my) mouth:

"Btw I registered specifically because of interest in the "Clipboard Help+Spell" program. It sounds fantastic. Simple and elegant but very powerful. Exactly what a scattered guy like me needs! Currently I use a sort of "Diary"/journal program to take care of this, but since it's organized by date it can be very scattered and confusing. It's a great app actually, just not the right thing for my needs. And the higher end "brainstorming" apps are overkill, and usually expensive.

Incidentally I came across the site through your review of archiving programs. Tugzip is also my archiver of choice right now, and in fact I believe they've addressed some of the concerns raised in the site review as of version 3.4 which was recently released. But in any case it's a great review, and your other reviews also impressed me. Keep up the good work!"

Sadly Tugzip appears to be a dead project now. New forum threads seem to mostly consist of spam bots talking to each other:
http://www.tugzip.co...dex.php?topic=1270.0
Which is interesting actually. I'm sure many of you have seen how clever some of these automated spam bots can be, selecting bits of semi-relevant text from their vast stores of collected material to match with snippets of presumably original material in the thread they're posting to. I wonder what would happen if you had a forum made up entirely of 1000's of spam bots parroting each other. Anyone else think we could get brilliant literature in less than a million iterations, say a month of back and forth? :D

P.S. Wow, I end my posts with grins a lot, eh?

- Oshyan

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I was so gonna say that zridling is the reason I am here.  But I went back through my emails, and he told me about the site in an email on April 23, 2005.  I registered the day before that!  So it was the earnest software reviews and my endless quest to find good software recommendation sites.  There hasn't been a site like this that I have found since, or been as active in (errmmm, ummmm, for the most part. almost. active)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It seems I was directed to DC because of either Popup-Wisdom or Find&RunRobot, and immediately needed support... And here I am, 3½ years later, still needing help!

-

I think very highly of the forum, and I believe mouser has done a good job setting the proper tone.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:08 PM by Curt »

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am came across DC by looking for an encryption tool for xchat and found mircryption, and I liked the forum for all the people going out of their way to be so extraordinary nice and forthcoming. I was suspicious at first whether or not DC could uphold its standard, but no more! For me DC has become one of the nicest places to be.

Here's to my very special place!  :-*

alivingspirit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't remember exactly, but I know I've been a software addict since I could click the mouse. That must have inevitably led me to DC.
Without the programming school I would have never had the motivation to teach myself programming. This website I hold in very high regard and continually impresses me with the friendliness and honesty of its community.

1NR1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hello,

My DC initial experience is from the "wanting to get the pro and cons from users about certain utilities and programs" direction.  But it didn't take long to find other smart people and program possibilities.  The newsletter prompts me to check regularly.  One thing I must have missed is Donation Coder on IRC.  I was an early mIRC user however it seemed to occasionally implode my computer so I haven't returned to IRC for years. Is there a board here on the specifics of DC IRC?  Thanks NR

briandr67

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • A Software Junky
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I found DC whilst looking for a clipboard program. I have used Clipboard Help & Spell ever since and now also Lacuna Launcher, Screenshot Captor, LBC, DC Updater, Process Tamer, and Todler Trap. Worth every penny of the donations I've made and then some. Mouser and skwire rock.

Brian

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Is there a board here on the specifics of DC IRC?

if you press the "Chat!" button at the top of the forum you'll be taken to a web interface to the chat room.  those with irc clients can connect to any efnet server, and join the room: #donationcoder

there is always someone around there.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is there a board here on the specifics of DC IRC?

There are no specific 'Forum Boards' regarding the use of the DC IRC channel.

If you dont want to use mIRC due to it playing havok with your computer, try an alternative like XChat or YChat, or perhaps something else.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 04:27 PM by Stephen66515 »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I was looking for some super app launcher to replace the taskbar's address bar (yes, I used it as an app launcher for a long while before app launchers for keyboard addicts even existed)... And after using some other app launcher (can't remember the name... I don't think it still exist) I found Farr (thanks mouser...). I used Farr for a little while, and maybe after a few weeks, I joined DC.

OhNoNotAgain

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How did I get here? Like Carol Haynes, I think it was through a link in the Fred Langa Newsletter. Never did like him, ya know.... ;)

After I got here, I found I could not get away..... I've about seven months of work to do on our property and at least four months of work to do on the house..........nothing is happening because I can't get away from this site! :o

Actually, I only wish I could spend more time here. The posts are both informative and fun. I really like forums where the members have a sense of humor, as well as knowing what they are talking about.

artkaye

• Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Got here through a Google search for an envelope printer. Has been a very good experience. Thanks for this forum.

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If I remember correctly (which is no mean thing these days) I think I was pointed here by a link in a Fred Langa newsletter.
-Carol Haynes (March 16, 2010, 04:23 AM)
Same  here...and I miss Fred's LangaList. I was paid subscriber, same as Ian's TechSupportAlert. Windows Secrets is vastly improved by their presence (I still hate the ads in a paid newsletter).

DC has been a rare treat in the oft times tumultuous world of the internet. The civilty and enthusiasm is a joy; I feel fortunate.
 :Thmbsup: :-*
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My brother f0dder brought me here for some reason. I believe he tried to get me into programming even if that kinda failed (I still want to do it at some time but I have a too short timespan attention span). I liked the community and atmosphere here so I sticked around.

Edit: yeah, my bad :|
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:27 PM by p3lb0x »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I hope you mean 'attention span'. With a term like 'too short time span' one could be tricked into thinking that you know the date and time of your departure...sounds kinda grim om a positive site as DC.  :o

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I found DC while searching for disc-catalogers and creating the list I released here. I started to code one on my own but never finished it.
DC is for me a source of news & informations and I try to take part at the yearly NANY events only for fun.
It´s also interesting to see the often very useful tools and games others are creating.

sazzen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome, Michael. We are all software addicts here.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome, Michael. We are all software addicts here.

But Darwin is primus inter pares...   :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
But Darwin is primus
Seldom camp but often on fire!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
But Darwin is primus
Seldom camp but often on fire!
-cranioscopical (April 26, 2010, 08:12 PM)

esoito

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I arrived just a coupla days ago because I was searching for a decent thesaurus I could run offline. (We poets and writers like words...Funny, that.)

And -- suddenly -- there was Mobysaurus. Top program  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

The mechanism to buy a permanent key led me here.

So now you're stuck with me!!  
If you're going round in circles then you're cutting corners.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 10:57 PM by esoito »