topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 9:45 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: moving outlook express to a new computer  (Read 15503 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
moving outlook express to a new computer
« on: March 15, 2010, 06:24 PM »
It's been about 6 years since the last time I had to move OE to a new computer but I am going to have to do it again and the mind is foggy. 

I have looked in google and also on DC for tips but find alot of them have a little variation and haven't been quite the "aha this is it" document that I have been looking for.

I seemed to remember having problems with multiple folders getting created and using the wrong folder like Inbox.dbx or Inbox (1).dbx if I remember correctly.  It also seems like maybe I needed to open OE before copying or importing files/folders.

I have been looking at some of the 3rd party apps but either they are not free or don't backup the user added folders like "mail from dave" or something like that.

So does anyone have a sure fire way that works time after time?  Does the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" in XP work to do this?  It says it will transfer OE settings but I haven't been able to find out if this includes address book, folders, emails, account settings.  Does it?

thanks in advanced!
Dave

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: moving outlook express to a new computer
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 06:57 PM »
Simplest way I have found is:

• On new computer set up Outlook Express with your email accounts (just open Outlook Express for the first time and follow the email setup wizard)
  • Move the data folder to somewhere sensible using Tools/Options/Maintenance
  • Close Outlook Express, reopen it to complete the folder move and then close it again
  • Copy the data folder (ie the one that contains folders.dbx etc) to the location you set up above.
  • Open Outlook Express - hey presto all of your folders and emails are there

To move your OE address book export it as a WAB file on your old setup [see note in my next post below] and import it into the new setup.

This doesn't sort out rules or Newsgroups but it does move your email.

If you don't want the hassle of moving your account settings you can export them from Tools/Accounts/Mail in the old setup and import them again in the new setup - you do need to reinstate the passwords though as they will not be exported.

If you can't remember passwords use MailPassView from nirsoft.net

I haven't tried moving newsgroups but if you also export the news server account settings (Tools/Accounts/News) you should be able to import those on the new machine. I would do this before you transfer the folder data and then you should retain news posts too - though you may be better to simply resubscribe and sync news accounts.

By the way to move email from Outlook Express to Windows Mail or Windows Live Mail just copy the data folder and then use the import function. If Windows Mail or Live Mail can't find OE installed it will just ask you to point to the data folder and then import the emails.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 07:52 PM by Carol Haynes »

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 07:11 PM »
no newsgroups to worry about.

thanks, Carol

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 07:51 PM »
Sorry correction to the above about address book:

To export the address book in WAB format open Windows Address Book from the Start/All Programs/Accessories menu. Export the as a WAB file.

The WAB file can then be imported into Outlook Express.

Very odd behaviour IMHO why does OE allow WAB import but not WAB export when it is the standard Windows XP format for the address book?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 08:08 PM »
you can also use Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB) if you want. it's not fully automated but there is a mini-tutorial that shows how it is done.

http://www.oehelp.co...ebackup/default.aspx

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 08:41 PM »
Thanks for the link Lanux.  I had looked at this one several years ago.  And will take a look at it again.  A few minutes ago I found Outlook Express Backup Wizard   The free version will backup everything but the block sender list and signatures.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 02:43 AM »
The reason I do this manually now is that I haven't always had the best of success with some of the automated tools.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 05:15 AM »
I am going to try it on another computer today by using the restore on these backup programs.  I did successfully restore it last nite but I was also on the same computer which shouldn't really make a difference.

But I do hear what you are saying Carol. 

The OEBW does let you know what settings it will back up.  The other one doesn't.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 07:38 AM »
Changing PC is a good opportiny to get read of OE and switch to a better solution : Windows Live Mail (a component of Windows Live) : you get a nice e-mail client that imports perfectly all messages, address book & accounts (you have to export your accounts from OE on the source PC).  Then you will get a more secure data structure : each mail is a file (.eml) and a basic yet efficient anti-spam.
.merle1.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 08:07 AM »
I thought about going to hat but I just figured I would keep my users in their comfort zone since they are already familiar with OE.  If it was me, I would switch in a heart beat and I do use Thunderbird at home.

I could ask him and see if he is comfortable switching to live mail

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 10:18 AM »
Changing PC is a good opportiny to get read of OE and switch to a better solution : Windows Live Mail (a component of Windows Live) : you get a nice e-mail client that imports perfectly all messages, address book & accounts (you have to export your accounts from OE on the source PC).  Then you will get a more secure data structure : each mail is a file (.eml) and a basic yet efficient anti-spam.

Have you actually used Windows Live Mail? It is a pretty hideous client (IMHO) and importing from OE isn't exactly nice as you end up with all your emails buried deep in a nested folder structure. Also I can find no way to use local contacts within Windows Live Mail - AFAIT you have to export all your contacts to a hotmail or live account online - not exactly friendly.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 10:45 AM »
Have you actually used Windows Live Mail? It is a pretty hideous client (IMHO) and importing from OE isn't exactly nice as you end up with all your emails buried deep in a nested folder structure. Also I can find no way to use local contacts within Windows Live Mail - AFAIT you have to export all your contacts to a hotmail or live account online - not exactly friendly.
-Carol Haynes (March 18, 2010, 10:18 AM)

I do use it everyday !  Granted, the GUI could be leaner, but it's OK.  Like with OE, you may move windows mail storage folder to any location, and it's only as nested as your folders are (sort of).  I have even installed the antispamsniper plugin for WLM available since recently (they develop one because it seems WLM is the default e-mail reader on Win7).

I did manage to import my local contacts but I know that was a pretty hidden feature.  I did all this again for my Mother in Law (and no, I don't hate her), from OE to WLM, and this worked fine.

Also, I had a major dbx file corruption back in 2008, where almost all my e-mails from 2005 to 2008 got truncated more or less, probably a "nice" result of OE dbx compression.  No such thing in WLM, so I wouldn't go back to OE.

I do miss a lot one feature from OE : when I click on the move to folder button, and a folder requester opens, it no longers answers to keyboard keys, so I cannot type the first 3 letters of the folder to jump to it, I have to scroll down, which is annoying.  I now have a new logitech mouse with a wheel turning freely, I give a good nudge on it when I want to go really down and that usually works, but it's still less convenient than typing the beginning of the folder name.
.merle1.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 11:15 AM »
How do you get WLM to use local contacts in Windows 7?

Windows Mail works fine but I couldn't find anyway to use local contacts (in the user's Contacts folder)? As I said the only way I could see to do it was to upload all of your contacts to Windows Live - which is not a nice (or secure) solution.

The other thing I don't like about WLM (over OE or WM) is that its tied to Windows Live/Hotmail accounts even if you don't want to use them.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 12:14 PM »
Isn't OE discontinued now? So it does make sense to migrate sooner than later, especially if there is already a migration being forced...

- Oshyan

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 12:49 PM »
Yes it probably makes sense for people on OE to migrate to something else. I'm just not sure WLM is the best place to migrate to.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 01:10 PM »
A very fair point. That being said I've realized Thunderbird just might be a steaming pile of crap. So, any other free suggestions?

- Oshyan

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 02:08 PM »
That was my problem - Thunderbird only seems to support IMAP (why no POP3 support?) so that was out.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 02:32 PM »
Tbird definitely supports POP3! In fact IMAP is the less common use, as far as I understand. And it's fine for "average" uses I guess. But if you have say 20,000 messages in a folder, it really bogs down. Now I'll grant maybe having 20,000 messages in one folder isn't a great idea, but some of the people I've dealt with do have that, and it's kind of hard telling them "You shouldn't be doing this, that's why this new program I migrated you to is performing *worse* than the old one that isn't Win7 compatible. There's nothing I can do to fix it, you need to change your email habits." Hah!

Anyway, I don't want to pull this too off topic. Hehe.

- Oshyan

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 03:15 PM »
How do you get WLM to use local contacts in Windows 7?

Windows Mail works fine but I couldn't find anyway to use local contacts (in the user's Contacts folder)? As I said the only way I could see to do it was to upload all of your contacts to Windows Live - which is not a nice (or secure) solution.

The other thing I don't like about WLM (over OE or WM) is that its tied to Windows Live/Hotmail accounts even if you don't want to use them.
-Carol Haynes (March 18, 2010, 11:15 AM)

I don't have any hotmail/WL account, and WLM works well without them.  Regarding local contact, I will look into it, but I know this took me some time to find the right process.

Try pressing Ctrl+Shift+C to get the Windows Live Contacts
then Alt+M to get the contact import menu (.wab as an input from OE).
This may work.
.merle1.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 03:41 PM »
Tbird definitely supports POP3! In fact IMAP is the less common use, as far as I understand. And it's fine for "average" uses I guess. But if you have say 20,000 messages in a folder, it really bogs down.
I'm using IMAP, and I'm afraid I too have found TBird3 really bogs down if confronted with a lot of folders, even if they don't each contain anything like 20,000 (or even 2000) messages.  TBird2 didn't seem to have a problem, but I really can't recommend TBird3.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.  ;)