ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

moving outlook express to a new computer

(1/4) > >>

techidave:
It's been about 6 years since the last time I had to move OE to a new computer but I am going to have to do it again and the mind is foggy. 

I have looked in google and also on DC for tips but find alot of them have a little variation and haven't been quite the "aha this is it" document that I have been looking for.

I seemed to remember having problems with multiple folders getting created and using the wrong folder like Inbox.dbx or Inbox (1).dbx if I remember correctly.  It also seems like maybe I needed to open OE before copying or importing files/folders.

I have been looking at some of the 3rd party apps but either they are not free or don't backup the user added folders like "mail from dave" or something like that.

So does anyone have a sure fire way that works time after time?  Does the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" in XP work to do this?  It says it will transfer OE settings but I haven't been able to find out if this includes address book, folders, emails, account settings.  Does it?

thanks in advanced!
Dave

Carol Haynes:
Simplest way I have found is:

* On new computer set up Outlook Express with your email accounts (just open Outlook Express for the first time and follow the email setup wizard)
* Move the data folder to somewhere sensible using Tools/Options/Maintenance
* Close Outlook Express, reopen it to complete the folder move and then close it again
* Copy the data folder (ie the one that contains folders.dbx etc) to the location you set up above.
* Open Outlook Express - hey presto all of your folders and emails are there
To move your OE address book export it as a WAB file on your old setup [see note in my next post below] and import it into the new setup.

This doesn't sort out rules or Newsgroups but it does move your email.

If you don't want the hassle of moving your account settings you can export them from Tools/Accounts/Mail in the old setup and import them again in the new setup - you do need to reinstate the passwords though as they will not be exported.

If you can't remember passwords use MailPassView from nirsoft.net

I haven't tried moving newsgroups but if you also export the news server account settings (Tools/Accounts/News) you should be able to import those on the new machine. I would do this before you transfer the folder data and then you should retain news posts too - though you may be better to simply resubscribe and sync news accounts.

By the way to move email from Outlook Express to Windows Mail or Windows Live Mail just copy the data folder and then use the import function. If Windows Mail or Live Mail can't find OE installed it will just ask you to point to the data folder and then import the emails.

techidave:
no newsgroups to worry about.

thanks, Carol

Carol Haynes:
Sorry correction to the above about address book:

To export the address book in WAB format open Windows Address Book from the Start/All Programs/Accessories menu. Export the as a WAB file.

The WAB file can then be imported into Outlook Express.

Very odd behaviour IMHO why does OE allow WAB import but not WAB export when it is the standard Windows XP format for the address book?

lanux128:
you can also use Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB) if you want. it's not fully automated but there is a mini-tutorial that shows how it is done.

• http://www.oehelp.com/oebackup/default.aspx

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version