ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

my server life - setting up a local server

(1/3) > >>

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

For development of a website I gather that setting up a local server is the proper way to go.  Develop at home, then mirror to the site with FTP. So I started with Xampp and hit a snag in trying to start MySQL.  (Maybe password related, maybe not, can show discussion later.) Rather than hassle too much, I then went with Wamp (my research did not place one above the other) and the servers turned on very nicely (after a little puzzling as to where to put the install).  Whew.

Then, for database development (I have a custom web-research-related app I would like to do, allowing real-time modifications by two or three people) I am playing with Navicat (Free), rather than simply PhpMyAdmin, and I am reasonably pleased.  It looks like it really may allow quick and proper database design, even if does not give a full end-user environment like my semi-beloved Alpha Five and other alternatives. Since it affects my real work, I may be playing with the pricier WinDev and Magic trials as well. (They have good iSeries integration.)  So I was pleased with everybodies fav PhpMyAdmin - but only for limited direct control -  and Navicat for database design.  Although there are good competitors for Navicat it looks like very likely a keeper.  Sweet. (I do not mind the cost when I go to Pro.)

WordPress or CushyCMS  or another .. maybe soon (unless WebsiteBaker cuts all the mustard and I decide against a blog or CMS mentality).  

Then WebsiteBaker, which looks like fun.  However I hit a snag on the install which I placed here.
wb crashes at installation
http://www.websitebaker2.org/forum/index.php/topic,15100.0.html
It may also be password or something. Some of this stuff is a bit squirrelly.

Oh, one other discussion.  Which apps really give a decent front-end look-and-feel without too much learn and burn ?  I have not taken Navicat far enough to see what it looks like yet .. however it does not look like a real front-end, probably expecting you to do that in HTML, PHP etc.  Alpha Five will do it, at a cost, maybe $500 or so..oops. Is there a mid-point ?  A neat looking MYSQL "application" that the enduser almost feels he is at home running an app ? (Again, maybe Navicat does this, maybe Sqlyog, maybe some others, maybe the big boys.) Suggestions which way to go ?  I really like the idea of not developing the front-end look and feel by hand-code and I prefer a one-tool approach.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

40hz:
Your first very own server? Steven! The Man!

***UPDATE***

Please ignore my earlier recommendation... :-[

I originally suggested (see below) that you might consider MoWeS Portable as an easier way to get your development platform up and running. Although I've never had problems with this product, I've since been informed by a colleague that MoWeS has recently become unstable. Apparently something got broken because problems are being reported with the Wordpress and Elgg packages.

Better off sticking with your original plan of action and use XAMPP.

My apologies.

Murphy Lives!

If your immediate interest in is developing your website, as opposed to mastering all the infrastructure niceties*, you might want to take a look at something called MoWeS put out by CH Software.

Link: http://www.chsoftware.net/en/mowes/mowesportable/main.htm

MoWeS allows you to mix up a preconfigured WAMP "stack" along with optional applications. It's about as easy as it comes. It's also geared towards development rather than production servers, so the security has been relaxed enough that it doesn't get in the way like it would on something exposed to the Internet. (You can always enable these security features if you want/need to - although it's important to note the authors don't recommend using MoWeS as a "live" server.)

MoWeS Portable II is a free software that enables you to quickly set up a WAMP (Windows, Apache, MySQL and PHP) system on any Windows system.

Additionally, you can download so-called packages. Packages contain application software, such as TYPO3, MediaWiki, Wordpress, Joomla!, etc., and are installed automatically.
--- End quote ---

Most of the the "biggies" (Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, MediaWiki, phpBB3, SugarCRM, etc. etc) are available. The basic "portable" version supports about 30 apps. There's an additional 30 packages available for "premium" supporters.
--- End quote ---

Luck! 8)

40hz:

@StevenAvery - Pretty quiet back there. How's it going?

JavaJones:
An alternative to MoWeS would be Bitnami Stacks, but if you've already got a more general environment going (XAMPP), then that's probably best.

- Oshyan

40hz:
+1 with JavaJones on Bitnami. Completely forgot about that excellent alternative. And unlike MoWeS, Bitnami is more geared for deployment in production servers.

Great recommendation J-man.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version