ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows doesn't recognize HDD.

<< < (3/6) > >>

Deozaan:
I'm still waiting for the check disk to finish doing it's thing. When it's done I'll look into doing more with the drive.

40hz:
Just out of curiosity - do you really want to trust that hard drive - even if it does successfully format?  :)

Deozaan:
Well I left before the thing finished with the check disk and when I came back the screen was blank and wouldn't turn back on after moving the mouse. Also the box would beep after several seconds, making noises as if the box was trying to go through POST, but displaying nothing on screen. So I cut the power to the machine and turned it back on and the HDD didn't show up in the BIOS.

Just out of curiosity - do you really want to trust that hard drive - even if it does successfully format?  :)-40hz (March 15, 2010, 02:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I had hopes when I installed it that it wasn't really bad. But now that I have an idea of how bad it is, I think I probably ought to just take it back out and... So what do you do with dead hard drives, anyway? Toss them in the dumpster? Take them apart and look at the cool disks inside?

JavaJones:
You make a hard drive clock, of course!

- Oshyan

40hz:
So what do you do with dead hard drives, anyway? Toss them in the dumpster? Take them apart and look at the cool disks inside?
-Deozaan (March 16, 2010, 03:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Definitely take one apart if haven't done it before. They're really interesting mechanisms. And the platters make very nice sounding wind chimes or experimental percussion instruments. So be creative. And send us some pictures! (Especially if you make a clock like the one in that link Java-J mentioned.)
 :)

Also the box would beep after several seconds, making noises as if the box was trying to go through POST, but displaying nothing on screen. So I cut the power to the machine and turned it back on and the HDD didn't show up in the BIOS.
-Deozaan (March 16, 2010, 03:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like the integrated controller finally gave up the ghost.

Oh well...better now than two months later when you have it loaded up with data and programs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version