topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PDF: sync Created date etc in MetaData with those of file (?)  (Read 4272 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Does anyone know to change PDF metadata, in particular to synch Created & Modified dates with those of the actual file ?
The PDF files in question have *no* Modified and/or Created dates in the metadata - so maybe syncing is the wrong word - I just need the info copied where this info *not* in the metadata - if all info has to be synched that's probably okay too.

I'd like to be able to batch process files so a GUI isn't necessary. OTOH, I suspect that PDFTK could possibly do this or ExifTool probably, but they both command line with minimal (for my level) help or instructions and I cant figure them out.

e.g. ExifTool says:
-[GROUP:]TAG<=FILE   Sets tag value from contents of specified file
The download has to be renamed to exiftool.exe for command line use - on download it's exiftool(-k).exe
That's as far as I got there... [edit] a link to info about PDF tags linked to from ExifTools [/edit]

NitroPDF pro says:
Tip: Not all the document information can be modified. Many fields are set at the time of creation or when last edited. For example, creation time, creator, producer, optimization, PDF version, etc.
so that doesnt seem to be of help.

It appears that Benubird Free version does "PDF metadata to file metadata syncing". Benubird discussed here.
But that's probably a bit like using a sledgehammer to hammer in a tack ?

There's software out there that claims to do this - expensive and I dont know would I trust a lot of it (it's obviously a big market and there some very basic tools being sold at very high prices out there - e.g. I came across what was being sold as a PDF printer for Word, for $70, $30 to split a file etc etc. [all at same site] ouch. ouch.)

Edit/ added another link above for exiftools info
Tom
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:17 AM by tomos »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PDF: sync Created date etc in MetaData with those of file (?)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 02:56 PM »
tomos, if you page down the PDFTK page to "Related Pages," you'll find two third-party GUIs for PDFTK.  I don't know if they'll do what you want, but they're free so might be worth a look.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 03:47 PM »

tomos, if you page down the PDFTK page to "Related Pages," you'll find two third-party GUIs for PDFTK.  I don't know if they'll do what you want, but they're free so might be worth a look.

thanks rj, I hadnt noticed the second one - judging from the screenshots though it doesnt cover it (the first one definitely doesnt) - will try it out in the morning anyways
Tom

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 10:17 PM »
I haven't looked at Benubird since moving to W7, but take a look at these screenshots. One of them says you can edit the data you speak of. I would copy some pdfs to a new folder to test it's abilities.

I just came across it again on the 4free feed and looked at the site today, and remembered this thread.

http://www.debenu.co...ird/screenshots.html

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 07:51 AM »
A little more info.
When it imports files with extensions of your choosing, it leaves the original where it was.
That was a concern of mine when starting out with BB.
Here's the screenshots I was talking about.
In the forums of BB, keeping existing tag, meta, and exif data is discussed.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 08:26 AM by cmpm »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 08:28 AM »
Thanks cmpm :Thmbsup:
this is still on my ToDo list :-\
as it's not yet urgent, I'll avoid BenuBird for the moment*. If I dont find any other more lightweight options, I will try it out.

thanks for the other link too - will have a look at that

*the whole import thing is *not* what I want or need...
Tom

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 08:40 AM »
I edited that other link out, not being sure of it's functions.
Although you can still get to it from the Benubird site.