topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Undelete utilities?  (Read 21424 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Undelete utilities?
« on: March 11, 2010, 04:36 PM »
Has anyone any further thoughts on undelete utilities since this 2007 thread, File-Saver (file undeletion utility) $40 off TODAY ?  Specifically, is it really worth paying for undelete utilities, or are the free ones good enough now?

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Undelete utilities?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 04:40 PM »
I'm a big fan of GetDataBack for recovering formatted or deleted drives etc (extensive erasure or file system damage/inconsistency), but for recovering single files or folders I find Recuva to be more than adequate.

Ehtyar.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 05:00 PM »
I'm still using the same (albeit updated) "quartet" of applications that I mentioned in the thread you've referenced. Although I have four recovery applications installed, I could probably get by with just one... Having said that, even recently I found that one or more of my options couldn't find a file I needed to recover while one or more of the alternatives did...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 05:10 PM »
PS Recuva looks like it would be just fine, although my firewall's web filter didn't like the site one bit. Without trying it, I would say that the free file recovery tools are probably good enough now.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 05:16 PM »
Free and portable Recuva and DiskDigger are good enough for me.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 04:10 PM »
@Darwin:  it's strange that some apps can recover files that others can't, but if it meant serious data loss, I see why you'd keep several.  Pity that some of them are so expensive, as is GetDataBack.

@sajman99:  I didn't realise that Piriform offered a portable version of Recuva.  Thanks!  I found mention of DiskDigger in a couple of other places, Best Free Data Recovery / File Un-delete Utility (that one's Gizmo) and File Recovery - 17 Free File Recovery Programs - Undelete Files (can't remember if those were in the original thread, and too lazy to check)

audinson

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 07:57 AM »
I use GetDataBack and no problems at all.
Hope this help

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 11:22 AM »
I would advise to get a free copy of Easeus Data Recovery Wizard (they propose free licenses now and then), it's an excellent tool.  Else, I would go for Active@FileRecovery Pro (Lsoft / not free) or PowerData Recovery (not free either).
.merle1.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 02:04 AM »
Speaking of Easeus Data Recovery Wizard.
3 day give away.

http://www.techsuppo...d-3-day-giveaway.htm

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 02:41 AM »
Great find !
.merle1.

delwoode

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 10:58 AM »
3 day give away.

just downloaded it and tried it as i had never used a recovery prog before, hey this is good so simple to use and what a lot of stuff it recovered!

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 11:24 AM »
but for recovering single files or folders I find Recuva to be more than adequate.

+1 for Recuva - saved my sanity on more than one occasion.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 11:41 AM »
3 day give away.
I just downloaded the zip file and unzipped it, yielding a setup file.  Do I have to actually install it within the three-day offer to have a free license, or is just downloading it enough?  I'd rather not install it right now unless I have to to take advantage of the offer.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 02:57 PM »
3 day give away.
I just downloaded the zip file and unzipped it, yielding a setup file.  Do I have to actually install it within the three-day offer to have a free license, or is just downloading it enough?  I'd rather not install it right now unless I have to to take advantage of the offer.

I think the installer is all you need, at least it was so for previous versions.  But I recommend you install it anyway.  If some day you need it, you it will reduce the risk of losing files for good just because of the installation itself (if lost files are on the system disk).
.merle1.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 03:22 PM »
Thanks very much, Merle, for your quick and helpful reply.  I'll take your advice.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 10:39 PM »
Well, I went to install Easeus Data Recovery Wizard and came upon the following warning: "We strongly recommend never installing Data Recovery Wizard on the same drive that you want to recover data from. Installation to the same drive will cause a permanent data loss and less chance to restore.
Current installation path: C:\Program Files\EASEUS\EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard 5.0.1"

I'm not sure whether that means I shouldn't install it on drive C (my only hard drive--it's not partitioned) if I ever plan to recover data from that drive, or whether it just means that if I already have a problem on that drive and want to try to recover data NOW, I shouldn't install DRW on the same drive.  If it means the latter, I'll install it, but if it means the former, I guess I won't bother.  Does anyone know for sure which one is meant?

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 10:57 PM »
If it means the latter, I'll install it, but if it means the former, I guess I won't bother.  Does anyone know for sure which one is meant?
The former.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 11:25 PM »
I have my drive partitioned, so this isn't a huge issue for me (data is on a different partition than windows and program files, including recovery tools). However, I wouldn't be *too* concerned about instaling Easeus on your drive, unless you're likely to be trying to recover files that are HUGE (GBs in size). Having said that, is a portable installation an option? By this I mean installing it to a thumbdrive. I've also done this with my recovery tools and run them that way.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 02:31 AM »
If it means the latter, I'll install it, but if it means the former, I guess I won't bother.  Does anyone know for sure which one is meant?
The former.
I guess it's the latter !  They have this warning in case you just want to recover files from C: and are about to install Easeus on the same C: hence risking making the recovering process a failure, because space used by the lost files you want to recover might be reused by the installation process.
.merle1.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 02:33 AM »
I have my drive partitioned, so this isn't a huge issue for me (data is on a different partition than windows and program files, including recovery tools). However, I wouldn't be *too* concerned about instaling Easeus on your drive, unless you're likely to be trying to recover files that are HUGE (GBs in size). Having said that, is a portable installation an option? By this I mean installing it to a thumbdrive. I've also done this with my recovery tools and run them that way.
With previous version, I have simply copied the full program directory on a thumbdrive and it works fine.
.merle1.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 03:30 AM »
The former.
I guess it's the latter !  They have this warning in case you just want to recover files from C: and are about to install Easeus on the same C: hence risking making the recovering process a failure, because space used by the lost files you want to recover might be reused by the installation process.
I guess both her statements are true then. In any case, she shouldn't install it on drive c:

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 09:48 AM »
I guess both her statements are true then. In any case, she shouldn't install it on drive c:
Thanks, guys, for your responses. However, Phil, I don't see how your response arises from what Merle said.  Merle indicates that the warning does not apply to installing DRW on my C drive unless I'm doing so to deal with a current problem on my C drive.  Since I'm NOT dealing with a current problem, and hence installing the program won't damage any current files I'm trying to recover, why do you say I shouldn't install it there? 

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 02:51 PM »
I installed Easeus Data Recovery Wizard on my C drive for that "just in case" scenario. I'm not worried about overwriting any data currently, but I do want to be ready if and when a problem occurs.

I interpreted the installation warning as a kind of awareness check. I recall years ago a friend of mine accidently deleted some important files, went into panic mode and actually started to download, install, and test recovery software. He's actually a bright guy, but in that particular situation he just freaked. ;D

Anyway, hopefully I don't have to use the Easeus file recovery or partition recovery modules, but better safe than sorry.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 03:07 PM »
I think everyone is making the warning harder to understand than it is.

Simple explanation: If you are installing the data recovery program *after* there have been files deleted that you wish to recover then do NOT install the recovery program to the drive with those files as there is a good chance those files will be overwritten by the installation of the data recovery program.

Even simpler explanation: Once you delete a file *NEVER* write to that hard drive again as chances are any data written will overwrite the file you wish to recover.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 03:08 PM »
3 day give away.

Thank you! Downloaded & installed for evaluation!