topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Which Linux For Non-Techie Windows Users?  (Read 17141 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Which Linux For Non-Techie Windows Users?
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 05:57 AM »
Yes, that is my problem with F/OSS in general. Again, this is not always the case, but most software I use on linux has features which feel like an after thought. They are quirky to use, even quirkier to navigate and just a pain in the butt to figure out. It seems many of these developers shoot for the "Let's be different just because" theory. What most users are used to as a common behavior in an application often times turns out to be some obscure method of accessing that similar behavior.

Again, this is not ALWAYS the case, but the applications mentioned above by urlworlf are clean examples of this.

Note, please do not attack me for this post. I am posting what my experience has been. When I use most F/OSS software, I feel like I am settling for "good enough" and not something more intuitive and natural. Also, some of the apps I use are native to linux and not some "sloppy port" or Wine enabled app.