topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Watch a game instead of playing it - NextgenWalkthroughs.com and others?  (Read 11026 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I was lamenting on the irc channel and on a recent post that with video games becoming so cinematic these days, some of us would much more enjoy just watching someone play a video game like a movie, rather than actually playing it ourselves; especially with so little free time.

DC member ewemoa suggested http://nextgenwalkthroughs.com/ to me, and indeed it has some nicely organized walkthrough videos that look like they may fit the bill.  If anyone has other websites that collect comprehensive full-game videos, let us know!

Nextgenwalkthroughs.com was created way back in 2006 by Beer Baron and Explicit D. We've been doing walkthroughs all this time and are not planning on stopping anytime soon.  We make all of our guides on the hardest difficulty, and do voiceovers to make sure to help you through the toughest parts of the game.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Awesome! I didn't know about this, and it would be great for those times when I'd like a refresher on the story of a game but don't feel like spending 80 hours playing through Final Fantasy n17 again.

CoderOmega

• Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
games becomes more like movies, but movies wants to add more interaction and soon will become more like games  :huh: :huh:
Soon with project natal, you'll be moving all over the place like on a wii in order to change movie, select a chapter, and maybe a kick would mean pausing a movie?
The world is really upside down.

RedPillow

• Joined in 2008
  • Pillows.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Lol, think about "Left 4 Dead - Interactive Movie"  ;D

Watchers are given weapon of their choise - It`ll be pretty much like a lan-party thou  :huh:

slowmaker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Reinventing the wheel can be fun!
    • View Profile
    • rambling-nerd
    • Donate to Member
I was lamenting on the irc channel and on a recent post that with video games becoming so cinematic these days, some of us would much more enjoy just watching someone play a video game like a movie, rather than actually playing it ourselves; especially with so little free time.

There is a pretty avid community of 'Let's Play"-ers, who focus not so much on pure walkthrough as on general commentary, sort of like hanging out while an aquaintance plays and talks; sometimes they'll play a game they think is stupid just so everyone can have some mst3k-style fun. YouTube has loads of 'em.

Sample link: Katrinonus, a lot of "Let's Play" stuff mixed in with voice acting stuff.
WinXP Home SP3 - PSPad 4.5.4

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Amazing. Now all that's left to be done is to write a progam to watch these things, thereby taking the human entirely out of the loop - and the cycle will finally be completed! (Douglas Adams would have loved it.)

Actually...that's not quite fair. I happen to enjoy occasionally watching game "cut scenes" if that's the correct term for them. I usually find those more enjoyable than the actual games themselves.

But I'm not much of a gamer to begin with.  ;D

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Pretty awesome website, but I have had to stay away from a few of the game videos on there because i am determined to try the games out first hand.  But I can say, the videos for COD and BF:BC are brilliant, I have played both these games and they are totally represented in what the videos show  ;D

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Interesting, I've actually been an appreciator of "observational gaming" (or is it really just classic spectating? :D) for quite a while, but never really knew many (any?) other people who were. It doesn't seem to be particular to one type of game necessarily either, there's something just enjoyable about seeing people in the act of overcoming challenge, which is fundamentally what games are (or attempting to overcome it). Just "exploring" and moving through a story like the Final Fantasy series can be interesting too. However I'm not sure just watching a movie of it is quite the experience that interests me. I suppose I would say it's a more personal thing for me, I want to be sitting behind the person, a friend of mine preferably, and watching them, sharing their moments of achievement and commiserating with their failures. The personal connection is relevant to me in the enjoyment factor. Still, this is an interesting thing, the pure spectator enjoyment of games. I believe Xbox's "1 vs. 100" is kind of like that, and lots more spectator functions are making their way into games with the massive connectivity of the mighty interwebosaur.

- Oshyan

mediaguycouk

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Mediaguy
    • Donate to Member
Well I'm 3 hours into Metal Gear Solid 4 now. Thanks for the link
Learning C# - Graham Robinson

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Deo recommended searching youtube for the phrase "Let's Play", and it's yielded some excellent results.

I can see that different users make very different playthroughs, and the trick is to find one that matches your tastes.

I started watching a giant playthrough of a game that very much but which i do not want (nor have the time to) play, Witcher 3, and can highly recommend this player:

https://www.youtube....P3dIHXAxqnCyZ3_sLbjX

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I really enjoyed Christopher Odd's Bloodborne walkthrough (I was alternating between watching and playing it myself).
I'd rank his skill as only slightly above average which suited me fine. Come to think of it, I enjoyed the walkthroughs almost as much as I enjoyed playing the game, sometimes more so - Bloodborne can be very dark and stressful.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Deo recommended searching youtube for the phrase "Let's Play", and it's yielded some excellent results.

I can see that different users make very different playthroughs, and the trick is to find one that matches your tastes.

I started watching a giant playthrough of a game that very much but which i do not want (nor have the time to) play, Witcher 3, and can highly recommend this player:

https://www.youtube....P3dIHXAxqnCyZ3_sLbjX

Ahh, it was YOU who revived this 5 year old thread haha...I wondered when the hell I posted in this...then I looked at the date haha