topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Verbatim DVD+R 16x a quarter apiece  (Read 7165 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Verbatim DVD+R 16x a quarter apiece
« on: March 09, 2010, 06:25 PM »
I've had good luck with these blanks:

http://www.newegg.co...17-507-003-_-Product

Verbatim DVD+R 16x metallic finish
A quarter apiece delivered.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Verbatim DVD+R 16x a quarter apiece
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 09:16 AM »
Verbatims aren't as good as they used to be. Heck, almost all blank CD & DVD media aren't as good as they used to be. There are lots of factors to look out for to ensure getting great media & unfortunately, the brand name on the container isn't one of them anymore.   :(

But I'm a bit of a fanatic when it comes to burning. I just recently chased all over the continental U.S. to find the exact model DVD burner I wanted. I realize most people aren't like that & I have a sickness.  ;D

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 05:31 PM »
All I can tell you is I go by what works in my burners.  I've had very good luck with these DVD+R 16x metalic on sale either online @Egg or in OfficeMax brick&mortar.

Many people swear up and down that the only way to go is TY.  But it seems that every HP Pavilion I get, the burner only wants to burn TY 16x discs @2.4 or 4x.  No TYs for me until I see some that burn correctly @16x.

In my last 3 PCs Verbatim DVD+R has burned consistently good @16x.
Your mileage may vary. I don't understand how they do the write strategies
for these burners.  My new PC will only burn Verbatim 8x DL @4x, while my
old PC will burn the same discs @4-8x.  But the new PC has better write
strategies for just about everything else but the TY.  Go figure. :)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 06:13 PM »
All I can tell you is I go by what works in my burners.  I've had very good luck with these DVD+R 16x metalic on sale either online @Egg or in OfficeMax brick&mortar.

As always, always use the media that works best in your burner.

Many people swear up and down that the only way to go is TY.

That advice isn't as fool-proof as it used to be. Taiyo Yuden isn't what they used to be & these days buying their Professional discs will yield much better results than their ValueLine ones.

But it seems that every HP Pavilion I get, the burner only wants to burn TY 16x discs @2.4 or 4x.  No TYs for me until I see some that burn correctly @16x.

Oh, you may want to check your drive out & do some research on the net. A lot of HP drives are re-badged from other brands & in most cases you can cross-flash to have access to better firmware.

This burner I just bought will burn TY Pro 16x discs at 24x.

But the new PC has better write strategies for just about everything else but the TY.  Go figure. :)

Sounds like you need some new firmware.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 09:28 PM »
I'm not a big believer in firmware update when the thing isn't broken.  I've had bad code turn a perfectly good piece of equipment into a paperweight.  I don't want to repeat the experience.  16x is fast enough for me.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 09:00 PM »
Hmmmmmmm, this is interesting.  I looked at the specs for my HP Pavilion quad core and the burner spec for DVD+R DL shows 4x as the max.  Pretty weird. Fortunately my dual core burns 'em at 4-8x.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 09:28 PM »
Weird indeed, Miles. Oh well, don't look a gift burn in the mouth & keep on burning. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 11:15 PM »
Weird indeed, Miles. Oh well, don't look a gift burn in the mouth & keep on burning. :)

Yeah, it's all good.  It's not like I sit here cranking them out.  The main thing is the coaster count is negligible.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 11:42 AM »
Yeah, it's all good.  It's not like I sit here cranking them out.  The main thing is the coaster count is negligible.

After our last exchange about firmware, it occurred to me that another reason you may want to keep your firmware up to date is that manufacturers regularly tweak their firmware to work better with new & existing media.

As an aside, it looks like we are the only two on DC fanatical enough about this stuff to discuss it. :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 01:13 PM »
we are the only two on DC fanatical enough about this stuff to discuss it
For some of us it's no longer a burning issue.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 01:28 PM »
I'm not a big believer in firmware update when the thing isn't broken.  I've had bad code turn a perfectly good piece of equipment into a paperweight.  I don't want to repeat the experience.  16x is fast enough for me.

Agreed. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" also works well for me. Some folks have been known to update and/or tweak themselves into inoperability. I have learned-- leave well enough alone.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 02:01 PM »
we are the only two on DC fanatical enough about this stuff to discuss it
For some of us it's no longer a burning issue.
-cranioscopical (March 13, 2010, 01:13 PM)

Dude!! Gimme a layer break will ya'?  :)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 03:55 PM »
Agreed. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" also works well for me. Some folks have been known to update and/or tweak themselves into inoperability. I have learned-- leave well enough alone.

I know....I have a sickness. I feel compelled to run the latest firmware and drivers on all my hardware even if I wasn't having problems before.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 05:11 PM »
I use Verbatim DVD+R 16x and DVD+R DL 8x (both with full face writeable surfaces) and have no problems with them at all using a Pioneer DV216D burner. I also use them in my Panasonic DVD recorder without any issues for transferring TV recordings from the hard disc to optical media.

I have tried all sorts of media but keep coming back to these as the most consistent I have found in terms of coasters (in this case just about 0 over the last couple of years).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 07:55 PM »
I like to get the ink jet hub printable, as they call 'em, myself.  I don't bother to print labels. Just use a sharpie.  But when I see the shiny version at half the cost and they work, it's tough to resist.

Just wish I could get a similar savings on the 8x DVD+R DL

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 07:57 PM »

I know....I have a sickness. I feel compelled to run the latest firmware and drivers on all my hardware even if I wasn't having problems before.

Good thing I'm basically lazy.  I seem to end up with nVidia GPU all the time for some reason.  Just saw a thing about the latest drivers overheating them and the manufacturer advising to back off to the previous release.  Sloth has it's virtue at times. :)