topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 3:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ribbon Hero turns learning Office into a game - interesting idea!  (Read 3547 times)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Headline is copied from the source site, I couldn't think of anything better, though it doesn't totally describe what I hope this topic can discuss. First, here's the link, to a "game" that helps teach users how to use Microsoft Office:
http://lostgarden.co...ing-office-into.html

I haven't actually tried it as I only have OpenOffice on this system, but I personally found this concept fascinating. It's true that people will go through great lengths, endless repetition, and much more that would otherwise be out of the question, all for simple game rewards - higher points, more items collected, higher levels, etc. So what about applying these concepts to application usage tutorials, even going so far as creating games to teach an application? I think the idea is very promising. Perhaps this first incarnation doesn't get everything right, but the core point - the value of the game-inspired reward mechanism for learning and practice - seems very important to me.

Hopefully some app developers will weigh in on this, as well as users. Does anyone know of any other examples of this kind of thing?

Capture-721897.JPG

- Oshyan

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ribbon Hero turns learning Office into a game - interesting idea!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 01:10 AM »
Thanks for the info. Just installed. I really like that it includes a genuine 'learning' part as well. I went straight from Office 2003 to 2010, and are having troubles understanding wtf is the idea of this ribbon. A year ago I thought it was so smart, but now I have it installed...

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ribbon Hero turns learning Office into a game - interesting idea!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 09:30 AM »
Oh, this is such a cool concept! I can see this as a teaching aid to help kids learn Office.

I'm off to download this one right away...