ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Putting a Classic Menu on Windows 7 - Redux

(1/3) > >>

40hz:
One of the most popular Windows 7 modifications is to restore the "classic" start menu since many people prefer the old "cascading" to the new "drill-down" style Microsoft endorses.

Apparently Microsoft was enough aware of this that they provided a so-called classic theme for Win7 users. But this theme still kept the new start menu. As a result, some clever coders stepped up to the plate to restore old style menu goodness to Microsoft's newest child.

I'm aware of two (CSMenu and Classic Windows Start Menu)that have been mentioned in previous DC threads:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=20565.msg185143#msg185143

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=20565.msg185819#msg185819

I just found another one that has been written up over at www.dedoimedo.com (another great website BTW!) called Classic Shell.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-7-classic-shell.html

Classic Shell is a a small, simple tool that re-enables a collection of features that were available in older versions of Windows but do not exist in Windows 7. Most importantly, it brings back the classic Start menu, adds a Windows XP style toolbar for Windows Explorer and powers on a few smaller, less noticeable features.
--- End quote ---

As interesting as it was to find this app, it was even more interesting that the download link on SourceForge ( http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/ ) had a link to the developer's CodeProject page. And that page is a gold mine if you're at all interested in one way something like Classic Shell can be written.

Developer Ivo Beltchev does a very nice job of analyzing requirements, identifying potential pitfalls, evaluating alternative solutions, and providing code samples (with discussion!) for how he created Classic Shell.

Full source code is also available for download.

Link: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/shell/classicshell.aspx

Classic Start Menu is a clone of the original Start menu, which you can find in all versions of Windows from 95 to Vista. It has a variety of advanced features:

* Drag and drop to let you organize your applications.
    * Options to show Favorites, expand Control Panel, etc.
    * Shows recently used documents. The number of documents to display is customizable.
    * Translated in 35 languages, including right-to-left support for Arabic and Hebrew.
    * Does not disable the original Start menu in Windows. You can access it by Shift+Click on the Start button.
    * Right-click on an item in the menu to delete, rename, sort, or perform other tasks.
    * Available for 32 and 64-bit Operating Systems.
    * Has support for skins, including additional third party skins.
    * Fully customizable in both looks and functionality.
    * Support for Microsoft’s Active Accessibility
    * And last but not least – it's free!

If you have used the Start menu in older versions of Windows, you’ll feel right at home
--- End quote ---

Very cool code "read." Check it out if you get the chance. 8)

scancode:
Tried it, instantly fell in love with it. I hate you, 40hz.  :Thmbsup:

JavaJones:
Woo, let's keep the dream alive! :D Thanks 40hz. :)

P.S. "Can show the free disk space and the total file size in the status bar" THANK CHRIST!

Also, I kept feeling like the new copy "overwrite yes/no/maybe" dialog was less functional and intuitive than the previous method, but kind of just chalked it up to unfamiliarity. But the Classic Shell page shows exactly why the new method is so retarded. Why oh why does MS do this?? Seriously, to all those people who love the new Win7 method(s) of doing things, what do you have to say about this? Or, put another way, put *that* in your pipe and smoke it. :P

It's funny, because Win7 *is* an improvement in many respects, but in many other ways not so much. At the least it seems they could make these things optional.

Well, at least they brought back "restore folders on launch"...

- Oshyan

app103:
I haven't installed Win7 on anything I own...yet.

But if/when I do, this will sure come in handy. (bookmarked!)

:Thmbsup:

40hz:
Seriously, to all those people who love the new Win7 method(s) of doing things, what do you have to say about this?
-JavaJones (March 09, 2010, 01:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

At the risk of some folks pick up torches and pitchforks, I'd have to say I sorta like the new start menu. But I  do a lot of tweaking to my menus anyway so maybe I'm not in a position to speak for most users.

Either way, there's enough other improvements offered by Classic Shell (Up Button!!! :-*) that I'm most likely going to load this on all my personal machines. Besides, I can always do a shift-click anytime I want to use the "official" start menu

Sweet! :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version