topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: virtual key codes - is it safe to use "unassigned" keys  (Read 4769 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
virtual key codes - is it safe to use "unassigned" keys
« on: August 26, 2010, 03:34 AM »
i'm trying to make the best use of my MS Sidewinder X6 keyboard but it comes with the absolutely atrocious Intellitype macro/hotkey manager program (someone must have wasted a lot of days writing that bit of less than optimal code).

So, i'm using autohotkey and a few registry hacks to make the macro buttons on the Sidewinder use Virtual Keys.

this is the chart i'm using as reference: http://api.farmanage...virtualkeycodes.html

i've been playing around and it appears i can use the "Reserved", the "Undefined" and the "Unassigned" keys without much problem. (some specific keys don't work and a couple did appear to be already in use with my scroll wheel.)

the question is: i'm assuming it's not really safe to use the "Reserved" keys; as they must be "reserved" for a reason. but, i've no idea if it's safe to use the "undefined" and the "unassigned" keys. i mean, they work fine - but am i going to find conflicts one day. are they really, really, out of use keys that the operating system will never need?

and, i suppose, you can add to that: are these "Reserved" keys really that important. are they likely to ever be used OR are they in use right now - it just isn't declared what they are for.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: virtual key codes - is it safe to use "unassigned" keys
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 10:40 AM »
What do you mean by "using" the keys? - making your AHK script *send* those values?
- carpe noctem

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 10:57 AM »
erm, i think the AHK script is detecting those virtual keys and then triggering whatever action i've set.

example of the (test) .ahk script...

VK88::^v      ;Paste      
VK89::^c      ;Copy      
VK8A::^x      ;Cut      
VK8B::#v      ;ClipMate Clipbar
VK8C::^a      ;Select All   
etc...

those virtual key codes relate to the Sidewinder's extra thirty "s" keys. so, i'm using these special macro keys on the keyboard to trigger the virtual key codes (which i've manually entered into the registry).

the idea is to use "virtual" keys so that there aren't any conflicts with your typical hotkey combos (i use a lot of adobe apps which like to use lots of ridiculous four key combinations).

at the moment, i've got the thirty "s" keys triggering "undefined" and "unassigned" virtual keys. everything appears to work. i just didn't want to make this a complicated project and then find out in a few days i need to start again because these virtual keys aren't as free as i thought.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 04:23 AM »
for anyone that is remotely interested in this; here's the web page i've used that explains the theory and method: http://terrylurie.co...cle.php?articleId=12

(i'll be writing up and uploading my scripts when i've done as this should be useful for other Sidewinder X6 owners.)