ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > What's the Best?

best virual cd/dvd maker and image mounter?

<< < (3/5) > >>

delwoode:
I doubt it's the best, but I use Gizmo Central's Gizmo Drive to mount images.

Though I can't say I've had much need to make disc images in some time, so I'm not sure how well it does at that.
-Deozaan (March 09, 2010, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
I read on the Gizmo forum that it can mount nero .nrg images but they dont work properly - I mean you cant then play the music files, you can if you mount with daemon and that is the only one that works for me so far. others also claim to handle .nrg but in practice they dont work. I have also tried power.iso and WinCDemu which claim to handle .nrg but they cant

Deozaan:
I read on the Gizmo forum that it can mount nero .nrg images but they dont work properly - I mean you cant then play the music files, you can if you mount with daemon and that is the only one that works for me so far. others also claim to handle .nrg but in practice they dont work. I have also tried power.iso and WinCDemu which claim to handle .nrg but they cant
-delwoode (March 10, 2010, 06:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Basically, Gizmo Drive can handle data discs in Nero Format, but not audio discs. I imagine it's the same way for the other programs you mentioned as well.

Darwin:
I have tried both Alcohol 120% and Magic ISO. For straight image creation and mounting, either would be a fine choice, IMHO. Both worked flawlessly. One thing to consider is that both come with lifetime upgrade protection. Magic ISO ($29.95) is much cheaper, even with Alcohol being offered at half price at the moment (39 euros ~ $57). Daemon Tools looks nice (I tried it YEARS ago), but is much more expensive when you consider that a license comes only with one year of upgrade protection. It's hard to tell from their respective web pages what features differentiate the three products. Alcohol and D-T Pro Advanced both have up to 31 virtual drives compared to MagicISO's 15... Other than that, a very superficial reading suggests to me that they're all pretty comparable.

Innuendo:
I am still using daemon tools 3.7 at the moment as I have read on various forums that the later versions put spyware and rootkits on your computer, true?  Also that they interfere with the sleep function on your laptop??-delwoode (March 09, 2010, 01:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are no spyware or rootkits installed with Daemon-Tools. The only thing to be aware of is during install you are offered to OPTIONALLY install their browser toolbar & to change your browser home page to their search engine page. These two things are easily turned off and only provide revenue streams to the authors.

I've used Daemon Tools Lite (latest version) on both a Dell & an Acer laptop recently and their sleep/hibernate functions were not interfered with in any way.

Innuendo:
Magic ISO ($29.95) is much cheaper, even with Alcohol being offered at half price at the moment (39 euros ~ $57).-Darwin (March 10, 2010, 07:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Alcohol 120% is awesome. However, I bought it a couple years ago when the normal price was ~$57 & I got it on sale for $35. Obviously, what I deem getting my money's worth is going to be different for someone buying today at a higher price.

Daemon Tools looks nice (I tried it YEARS ago), but is much more expensive when you consider that a license comes only with one year of upgrade protection.
--- End quote ---

Daemon Tools had a total interface overhaul just recently so if anyone tried it a long time ago they should try it again to see what the new experience is like. The main thing to keep in mind when comparing versions of Daemon Tools is that most people will be perfectly happy with the free version. The only real limitations of the free version are being limited to 4 virtual drives and not being able to create virtual IDE drives.

If you have special 'hard-core' needs like needing 31 virtual drives & the ability to create virtual IDE drives, then yeah...by all means look at the commercial versions, but for most people the free version will be more than sufficient.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version