ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

In rememberance of....The antiquated hardware/software reminiscence thread

<< < (5/10) > >>

40hz:
Creative Computing was amazing. I remember an article that had a program which could be used as a framework for generating the code for standalone business programs. That was the first time I had ever seen a "template driven application generator" as they later came to be called. Those were eventually replaced by today's more flexible frameworks, but back then appgens were bleeding edge.

And to think they were doing stuff like this on floppies and 64K of RAM. 8)

Addendum:

But I'm surprised you didn't mention 80Microcomputing seeing as you were a fellow  "Trash-80" user from way back.

My sister started her business with a dual floppy TRS-80 Model III (later upgraded with an "amber" monitor and LDOS), Visicalc, Super Scripsit (WP), plus the TRS-80 accounting suite. (And also a copy of Zork if memory serves.  :mrgreen:)

This was the TRS-80 crowd's answer to Transactor:

In rememberance of....The antiquated hardware/software reminiscence thread In rememberance of....The antiquated hardware/software reminiscence thread

Innuendo:
Didn't you set up some saved searches?-rjbull (March 07, 2010, 03:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, there was no way to set up saved searches when I was buying this stuff. I forgot to mention in my original post that the duplexer, extra paper tray, and the network card were all brand-new in never-opened boxes when I bought them. Nearly bought the letter feeder at the time, but common sense prevailed at the last minute as I'd have had no use for that.  :)

f0dder:
Nuts & Bolts had the best defragger I have ever used. It was lightning fast and quite thorough, unless you chose the option to 0 the free space, which then it was just thorough. I really wish they would have continued the development of that. I really miss it.-app103 (March 07, 2010, 04:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
Amen to that! - it did some pretty hefty pre-planning, which enabled it to be very smart about how it moved data around... it defragged properly, and it did it fast. Dunno if it's possible to do it this well today; will probably require an offline filesystem defrag at any rate.

Faked multitasking from back in the days of DOS. "When men were real men; women were real women; and those little fuzzy creatures from Sirius were real little fuzzy creatures from Sirius."-40hz (March 07, 2010, 01:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
...and 16-year-old girls weren't FBI agents.

A couple of my favorite old pieces of hardware have to be the Commodore C=64:
This is where I whetted my teth on Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Commando, Last Ninja and whatnot. From the times where I didn't even know you could buy games, since none of the stores around where I lived had any.

And the Commodore Amiga 600:
Which was a real gaming beast, with great graphics and sound. Cannon Fodder, Gods, superfrog, prince of persia, persian gulf inferno :-*, Another World (aka. Out Of This World), flashback, Hunter and a LOT more. Lots of fond memories!

40hz:
...and 16-year-old girls weren't FBI agents.
-f0dder (March 08, 2010, 02:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

ROFLMAO!

Edvard:
"Memory, turn your face to the moonlight..."

For me, the fondest memories are of the Beagle Bros.

Top quality software,

Programming tips right there in the advertisements,

Foolproof disk care advice,

and that inimitable programming humor.

Aw, crap. Now I gotta go download an Apple ][ emulator...  :-[

Images courtesy of the Beagle Bros Online Museum and the Beagle Bros Software Repository.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version