topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: tree-style notes - TreeDBNotes - Keynote-NF - AllMyNotes Organizer and more  (Read 26136 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,

We have had incredible threads on note-taking concepts as a whole.

Here I would like to limit the discussion to the basic motif - a tree-style (often with tabs) note program.
Three come to mind.

Keynotes-NF (Free, Open Source)
TreeDBNotes  (Free and Pro)
AllMyNotes Orgranizer  (Free and Deluxe)

Keynotes-NF is the open source followup to Keynote, when I use TreeDBNotes I must admit the interface is rather a bit more pleasant (a real factor in note programs) and AllMyNotes Organizer looks like the new kid on the block, with a DC discount and perhaps the most active development ?

I'm sure there are probably 5-10 other similars worthy of consideration, lets not include them other than en passant notice .. unless they are overall really right there in the mix, with their own advantages.

Some of the issues to consider.

Interface
Search strength and speed and utility
Portability, integration with web in any shape, manner and form
Licensing on USB-Work-Office puter with 1 license at a time
Import-Export
Database facilities - some user defined fields
Note and a source URL logically connected (not just urls in a note) - e.g. consider this for a research database
   (this is a pseudo-bookmark facility, if a note program could be linked with a linkman type of program, even better)
Cost
Support (forum, developer response)
Solidity, Backup
Attachments and pictures

(Add 10 more here)

I would like to personally make my decision for the next couple of years, right now I am toggling back and forth from Keynote to TreeDBNotes and the BitsDuJour and DC discounts for AllMyNotes caught my notice, leading to the post :).

Shalom,
Steven Avery

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There is also this one I came across somewhere...

Linked Notes

http://www.linkednot...com/ProductInfo.aspx

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
AllMyNotes looks promising.

Right now I'm using a combination of apps (CintaNotes, Canaware NetNotes, TreeNotes, WikiPad) and I'd love to just get everything into one place.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I was using keepnote, but now I'm using lyx. You can have it portable on win (LyTeX). Great outliner, and features you don't find in notetakers (tables, equations). Even if you don't ever use it as intended (producing nice latex docs), it's a killer tool. All files are plain text, no vendor lock-in. and autocompletion built-in...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@urlwolf - that's a pretty brilliant hack using lyx like that!  8)

Good import/export; designed for structure from the ground up; decent change tracking mechanisms; referencing and citation support built in; and screaming fast. And yes, it is a terrific outliner...

Very cool!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
AllMyNotes will soon have some great new features like alarms! Yay  :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I was using keepnote, but now I'm using lyx. You can have it portable on win (LyTeX). Great outliner, and features you don't find in notetakers (tables, equations). Even if you don't ever use it as intended (producing nice latex docs), it's a killer tool. All files are plain text, no vendor lock-in. and autocompletion built-in...

? Can you recommend which to download, with texlive or miktex ?  Miktex was uploaded more recently
  • LyTeX-1.6k-bin.exe   1.6k stable release -- with texlive
  • LyTeX-1.6s-bin.exe   1.6s stable release -- with miktex

http://code.google.c...lytex/downloads/list
Tom

criss

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Please consider AM-Notebook. I rely heavily in work on this program and recommend it, because I'm so content with it (and I used many tree outliner).

Latest Version: http://www.aignes.com/beta.htm

It supports RTF-Notes (TRichEdit), tables (with Excel like formulas) and now also diagrams.
It never crashes (Use it everday since half a year.).
Responsive author.
Completely Unicode, small, portable, clean interface, good export
You can have multiple tabs, but not like most tree outliner with a tab for every tree, but a tab for every note in one tree (much better IMHO).
Extremely secure:
- unlimeted undo
- documents stored as separate files on harddisk, no database that can get corrupt
- automatically save sdocuments and saves last three versions (can be more if you want)
- daily autobackup of all data
Fast open/find notes: press Ctrl+F5 start typing the name of the note, press Enter voila.
Share notes collection with other users over network.
No Candybar-Look: rather bare bone but clear and functional (I like that).

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I dunno much about win. but I think miktex is better there...

? Can you recommend which to download, with texlive or miktex ?  Miktex was uploaded more recently
  • LyTeX-1.6k-bin.exe   1.6k stable release -- with texlive
  • LyTeX-1.6s-bin.exe   1.6s stable release -- with miktex

http://code.google.c...lytex/downloads/list

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am glad I found this thread. I am now checking out AM-Notebook. The primary feature that I see from criss's post above was that all files are stored independently on disk not requiring a database that can corrupt. Big plus!

twinkler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • technophobic technophile
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm glad to see this thread. I've been using KeyNote for years, but I'm in one my periods where I'm itching for something else.

My minimum requirement for a tree-based outliner is that it have tabs--there's no way I want all of the half-dozen totally different topics I track in one big tree.

I tried TreeDBNotes when it first came out years ago, but my outline file got corrupted after a few weeks of use. I also recall that the file was encrypted or in some binary format that prevented me from recovering the uncorrupted data.

Anyone thinking of moving from KeyNote to something else might be interested in ABC Amber KeyNote Converter, which I just discovered last week but haven't tried yet.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 07:21 PM by twinkler »

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
After a couple of months of happy use, I found that lyx gets slower if you use it for a gigantic tree (what notes are!). It's screaming fast if you divide your notes into files, but then you have to deal with files (which breaks the flow for me). You can have a master file and then \input subsections, but that adds overhead. The outliner on the side does get the entire thing, which is very cool.

In a way, I'm looking for another outliner, crossplatform if possible...
Thought the update would be useful for people here.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the help. Glad I could drop Lyx indefinitely thanks to your post.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Actually, false alarm. LyX is plenty fast even on large outlines. It was some problem with qt on linux and the nvidia drivers. So I still highly recommend LyX. Sorry.

monqs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am still using TreePad Biz after nearly 10 years as I still cannot find another notes organizer which allows me to build clickable tables of contents.  This is important for exporting my notes in html/prc format for use on my phone.

Very interesting thread.

Best wishes,
Martin

RaelB

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

May I also point out to you: RightNote (http://www.bauerapps.com/RightNote.html).

Some feature highlights includes:
- full text search (see highlighted results as you type)
- spreadsheet and source code type notes
- recently added tag feature, shows all related tags for every tag search, and allows you to associate an image with the tag

Includes specific import for KeyNote files.

Comes in standard and portable version. Licensed per user - so you can use on multiple computers as long as you are the only one using the program.

For any further information or queries you are welcome to contact us at our support email address (you will see link on the website).

Regards
Rael Bauer

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Rael, welcome.

Thanks for this tip, i just try your app and it looks very promising  :P
- portable
- "Excel" Spreadsheets / sortable columns / sum function
- code snippets highlighter
- very fast search
- history what was done
- spelling with several different languages at onces

Well done  :Thmbsup:

jeromg

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@urlwolf

Actually, false alarm. LyX is plenty fast even on large outlines. It was some problem with qt on linux and the nvidia drivers. So I still highly recommend LyX. Sorry.

Hey urlwolf, can you please describe a bit more how you use lyx as an outliner? Do you use a specific class?
Thanks!

Cheers  /jerome

jeromg

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi urlwolf and others,

I'm looking at clever ways of using lyx as an outliner/notetaker, hints are more than welcome.

Cheers  /jerome

ha14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi

Mars Notebook, also not vey expensive so just give a trial before decision
http://www.mars-soft.net/notebook.htm

Some other features:
    - 8 strong encryption algorithms with up to 448bit key
    - spell checker with more than 25 free dictionaries and autocorrect feature
    - passwords generator
    - automatic database backup
    - editable external program skins
    - calendar integrated
    - checking for new version availability via Internet
    - save program options to registry or to file
    - works perfectly from flash cards without installation (portable)
    - main window can be shown by keyboard shortcut
    - search and replace in all available sections
    - calculator toolbar can evaluate expressions like ROUND((14+82)*17-(SQR(4)/2+PI))-955
    - all toolbars are configurable, it's possible to hide toolbars, status bar and the ruler

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi jerome,

I used to do notetaking on a big-arse text file, that had no structure. With LyX I do the same, but I use headings (with shortcuts). The outliner pane is very good to teleport to the area you need. It beats txt because you can drag and drop pictures, have links, and tables. But it's still plain text, portable, OS-independent, and you can put the files in a VCS. And the different formatting of headings helps organizing information (I used to use indentation, now I don't need it). Search is not great, but getting better in 2.0 alpha.

jeromg

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks urlwolf, I might give it a try as a notetaker... I like the vendor/os independence!

Cheers  /jerome

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FYI, Linked Notes (previously mentioned here) has been recently upgraded.
http://www.linkednotes.com/default.aspx

Very small program and there's a portable version too!  :Thmbsup:

Freeware version and shareware.

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • freestyle (nunchaku) forum.net
    • Donate to Member
thanks guys :D