ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

tree-style notes - TreeDBNotes - Keynote-NF - AllMyNotes Organizer and more

(1/5) > >>

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

We have had incredible threads on note-taking concepts as a whole.

Here I would like to limit the discussion to the basic motif - a tree-style (often with tabs) note program.
Three come to mind.

Keynotes-NF (Free, Open Source)
TreeDBNotes  (Free and Pro)
AllMyNotes Orgranizer  (Free and Deluxe)

Keynotes-NF is the open source followup to Keynote, when I use TreeDBNotes I must admit the interface is rather a bit more pleasant (a real factor in note programs) and AllMyNotes Organizer looks like the new kid on the block, with a DC discount and perhaps the most active development ?

I'm sure there are probably 5-10 other similars worthy of consideration, lets not include them other than en passant notice .. unless they are overall really right there in the mix, with their own advantages.

Some of the issues to consider.

Interface
Search strength and speed and utility
Portability, integration with web in any shape, manner and form
Licensing on USB-Work-Office puter with 1 license at a time
Import-Export
Database facilities - some user defined fields
Note and a source URL logically connected (not just urls in a note) - e.g. consider this for a research database
   (this is a pseudo-bookmark facility, if a note program could be linked with a linkman type of program, even better)
Cost
Support (forum, developer response)
Solidity, Backup
Attachments and pictures

(Add 10 more here)

I would like to personally make my decision for the next couple of years, right now I am toggling back and forth from Keynote to TreeDBNotes and the BitsDuJour and DC discounts for AllMyNotes caught my notice, leading to the post :).

Shalom,
Steven Avery

cmpm:
There is also this one I came across somewhere...

Linked Notes

http://www.linkednotes.com/ProductInfo.aspx

40hz:
AllMyNotes looks promising.

Right now I'm using a combination of apps (CintaNotes, Canaware NetNotes, TreeNotes, WikiPad) and I'd love to just get everything into one place.

urlwolf:
I was using keepnote, but now I'm using lyx. You can have it portable on win (LyTeX). Great outliner, and features you don't find in notetakers (tables, equations). Even if you don't ever use it as intended (producing nice latex docs), it's a killer tool. All files are plain text, no vendor lock-in. and autocompletion built-in...

40hz:
@urlwolf - that's a pretty brilliant hack using lyx like that!  8)

Good import/export; designed for structure from the ground up; decent change tracking mechanisms; referencing and citation support built in; and screaming fast. And yes, it is a terrific outliner...

Very cool!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version