topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Will you miss newspapers when they're gone?  (Read 33870 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Will you miss newspapers when they're gone?
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2010, 08:51 PM »
The Onion tackles this important question:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2010, 11:21 PM »
Hmmmmmm, the other side effect.. when Film School students watch Citizen Kane they won't get the newspaper crusader dominance bit.

RedPillow

• Joined in 2008
  • Pillows.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2010, 04:23 PM »
Nah, they`re ... dry.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2010, 09:18 PM »
Hand-me-down furniture won't exist in the future in the same way. Our culture (I'm talking about US and Europe here) is too much based on disposable. Not to mention built-in-obsolescence.
-Carol Haynes (March 10, 2010, 10:12 AM)

Besides our obsession with novelty (always chasing the latest new thing or fad) as one of my all-time favorite Brits, Alfred North Whitehead pointed out in the 1920s, I think obsolescence is the bane of modernity. Projects like the Data Liberation Front try to counter the trend. I'm sure we'll soon see the day when books and music will have limits on them, such as, "You have 180 days to read this [e]book; after that, it is digitally erased from your collection via DRM."

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2010, 07:32 PM »
Interesting item about the announced Peer News site over at TechCrunch that bears on the question.

Link:  http://techcrunch.com/2010/03/18/more-news-about-omidyars-peer-news/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29

More News about Omidyar’s Peer News
by Sarah Lacy on Mar 18, 2010

I’m at the NewsMorphosis Conference in Hawaii today locked in a day of debates about the state of news quality and how the hell we find a business model to keep paying for it.

Temple was clear to say “there is no silver bullet” when it comes to fixing the media business, but also sees a great deal of hope in the volatility– this from the guy who was head of the now shuttered Rocky Mountain News, a paper that’s already gone through what so many dailies are dreading.

“We’re not trying to reinvent a local newspaper and put it on the Web,” he said. Indeed, the mission of Peer News doesn’t even contain the words “news” or “media” or “paper.” It’s simply “to create a new civic square.” Core to the development of Peer were three questions:

-What is the role of a free press in a democracy?

-How would you best fulfill that on a local level using all the tools available today?

-How do you do that in a sustainable way?

This was one comment I found very interesting and worthy of its own discussion thread:

But for a site that intends to be very community oriented, there was one big shocker: Peer will not have comments. “(Comments) descend into racism, hate, ugliness and reflect badly on news organizations that have them,” said Temple. Why? Because people do not have to show their faces when they comment so there’s no sense of responsibility, he argued. “We think anonymity is a huge problem when it comes to comments,” he said.

Check it out! 8)

[Edit - URL made clickable]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 04:54 AM by Carol Haynes »

adi_barb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2010, 07:16 PM »
I'll miss the newspapers a lot... actually I maybe could die without printed newspapers…And thankfully, the newspaper industry is nowhere near extinction here in my country! The have a lot of work behind... compared to blogs or other web stuff.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2014, 08:08 AM »
No I won't miss em.   They won't be gone any time soon though.   :-\   The publishers make too much money selling advertising space.

Besides... newsprint, with veggie-based ink, cleans glass just as good as paper towels and it's a lot cheaper.   ;D

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2014, 08:20 PM »
I'm sure we'll soon see the day when books and music will have limits on them, such as, "You have 180 days to read this [e]book; after that, it is digitally erased from your collection via DRM."

And I swear I've seen some of the rumbling early attempts at that already, I just don't have references handy. One of you net researcher types can poke around if you want.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2014, 07:40 AM »
I'm sure we'll soon see the day when books and music will have limits on them, such as, "You have 180 days to read this [e]book; after that, it is digitally erased from your collection via DRM."

And I swear I've seen some of the rumbling early attempts at that already, I just don't have references handy. One of you net researcher types can poke around if you want.

This looks like a 'How-To' on removing DRM protection so I guess time limits exist.

http://www.ebook-con...ys-library-ebook.htm

Possibly this person could use a grammar eBook?  ;D  Or maybe English is not their first language?   :huh: